2 Grower Support Managers at Kilombero Sugar Company Limited
Open Position: Grower Support Manager – Two (2) Positions
Office Location: Kilombero, Morogoro
Reports To: Grower Agriculture Head
Date of advert: 20th March 2023
Kilombero Sugar Company Limited (KSCL), the largest producer of sugar in the country operating cohesively with Illovo Distillers Tanzania Limited (IDTL) and a member of Illovo Sugar Africa Limited (Africa’s largest sugar producer). The Company now invites applicants who are self-motivated, honest, hardworking, and committed individuals to fill above mentioned position at Kilombero.
The Grower Support Manager is responsible for contributing to and implementing the Country’s Grower development and cane supply strategies with a view towards long-term growth, Grower relationship development and optimization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop land use plans (LUP’s) and work programmes, including crop establishment, husbandry and removal and all ancillary support services inclusive of manpower and material resources, to ensure the achievement of crop forecasts and sustainability
- Adopt and embed best practices, minimum standards, policies, processes, tools, technology and enablers through the relevant Illovo Way and capability development strategy
- Ensure compliance with group minimum standards and processes for Grower relationships
- Ensure compliance with Group Level Guidelines, as well as national and local legislation on all environmental matters
- Oversee provision of technical assistance to Growers, for purposes of improving productivity, enhancing sustainability and profitability, and the development of new areas
- Develop and monitor cane supply agreements with growers and grower bodies
- Oversee facilitation of field days and training sessions to promote best practice sharing and continuous improvement of sugar cane farming
- Establish and maintain relationships with growers and grower stakeholders (banks, grower organisations, government officers, community leadership) and maintain close contact to identify emerging social and economic risks to grower viability, including but not restricted to sugar cane agriculture – with reference to the SBT (Sugar Board of Tanzania), the TCDC (Tanzanian cooperative commission), Ministry of agriculture and district authorities.
- Monitor financial and cane production performance for growers, inform on trends and sustainability risks, and develop mitigation plans.
- Develop, monitor, and manage grower support budget
- Manage capturing and accuracy of Grower data for the area (including agricultural, delivery and payment data)
- Report on performance in line with KPIs, as well as key adverse or positive developments
- Drive rigorous performance management, biased towards rewarding strong performance and compliance with critical behaviours, and including managing consequences where required
- Oversee effective talent and performance management within grower support through coaching, mentoring and on-the job training
- Coordinate a rateable supply of cane to the mill as per DRD in line with Mill requirements, ensuring delivery equity between Growers within their AMCO
- Manage approved Cane Supply Agreements with existing growers, and maintain a registry of all current contracts including a record of reciprocal obligations of the parties
- Represent the Mill at governing body committee meetings and ensure positive working relationships with supplying cane growers and hauliers
READ ALSO: 14 Tips on What to Do When You Can’t Find a Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Agronomy or equivalent from a recognized institution
- 5+ years experience in sugar cane agriculture, including 2+ years in grower development or cane supply
- Strong data analysis skills
- Ability to build, develop and manage teams effectively
- A high level of self-motivation and attention to detailTerms of Service: The successful candidates will be engaged on a permanent contract.
All interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, please click here to apply for the position before 3rd April 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Kilombero Sugar Company Limited is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.