VACANCY FOR THE POSITION OF ACCOUNTANT (P1) (REF: CAS/HR/002/2020)
The Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency (EAC-CASSOA) is a self accounting institution of the East African Community. The Agency is looking for a highly motivated, result-driven and qualified professional from citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda and South Sudan to fill the following position in the Agency.
|GRADE:||Professional Category (P1)|
|REPORTS TO:||Senior Accountant|
|DUTY STATION:||CASSOA Headquarters Entebbe, Uganda|
- MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To assist in the implementation of effective and efficient financial management systems and working capital management for sound decision making, in accordance with the relevant financial rules and regulations.
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and maintains appropriate accounting documentation for transactions of the Agency while ensuring all financial policies, strategies and regulations of the Agency are adhered to and post all transactions for each period to ensure timely month-end and year-end closures;
- Ensures that all income is properly invoiced, receipted, accounted for and banked on a daily basis where necessary;
- Prepares payments while ensuring that all expenditure is within the approved activities and budget limits and where this is not so, confirms that proper authorization has been obtained and proper procurement procedures have been followed;
- Manages the staff imprest accounting to ensure that all retirements are done on time and where necessary recoveries from employees are affected promptly as per terms and conditions under which such advances were sanctioned;
- Monitors the accounts payables balances on a monthly basis and reconcile these with the suppliers’ records to ensure accurate and prompt payment of all Agency obligations;
- Maintains and manages the office petty cash within the financial rules and regulations;
- Prepare payroll in time and ensure all payments to employees are paid on time and in accordance with Agency Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Prepares the budget for the finance department as per the laid down guidelines and submission deadlines;
- Prepares timely monthly budget performance reports for budgetary control;
- Maintains and manages the fixed assets register, ensure all assets are tagged and carry out an annual inventory count as per the financial rules and regulations;
- Maintains an accurate General Ledger and carries out monthly reconciliations for review and initiate corrective measures to resolve issues arising;
- Deputises the Senior Accountant where necessary; and
- Performs any other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
3. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce or Finance from a recognized university
- Be a member in good standing of a recognized professional Accountancy Body with a membership certificate and a letter of good standing from a recognized Accountancy Professional Body (ACCA, ICPA-U, ICPA-K, NBAA, ICPAR,…)
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience as a professional accountant/ finance expert in a reputable organisation.
- Conversant with financial management systems preferably Sunsystem
- Working experience with international or regional reputable organisation
- Experience with aviation related regional or international reputable organization
- Proficiency in computer-based accounting and general office IT applications
- Professionalism: Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and International Accounting Standards (IAS). Observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others; exhibits interest in having two-way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
5. ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATIONS
This vacancy is open to citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda and South Sudan.
6. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The above is an established position within the Agency’s organization structure and is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once subject to satisfactory performance and age limit requirements.
7. EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
All candidates applying for the above position must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner States. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
8. RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
9. SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS
The established position offers a competitive salary and attractive fringe benefits including house allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme and insurance cover among others.
10. AGE LIMIT REQUIREMENT
The Agency Staff Rules and Regulations stipulate that no candidate above the age of 55 years will be considered for employment in the Agency.
11. HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the requirements are advised to send the following:
- Signed application letters,
- Duly filled and signed EAC-CASSOA Personal History Form,
- Photocopies of academic degrees,
- Professional certificates/licenses, membership certificate,
- A letter of good standing from a recognized Accountancy Professional Body (ACCA, CA, CIMA, ICPAU, ICPAK, NBAA, ICPAR, etc), and
- A copy of national identity card, birth certificate or passport showing the date of birth not later than 18th January 2021, quoting the job advert reference number of the position applied for. The application documents should be sent via email (all soft copies should be in PDF format and organized in one file) or in hard copies and addressed to:
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
P O Box 873,
- The recruitment of the above job will be subject to the EAC Quota system.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not indicate nationality and age, the reference number, and do not include a signed application letter, duly filled and signed EAC-CASSOA personal history form (Download Here), copies of academic degrees, membership certificate and a letter of good standing from a recognized Accountancy Professional Body, and three referees shall be disqualified.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.