Administration Assistant at UNOPS – United Nations Office for Project Services
Job categoriesAdministration, Project Management
Department/officeAFR, KEMC, Kenya
Duty stationDar Es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Contract typeLocal ICA Support
DurationOn going subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
Application period22-May-2020 to 06-Jun-2020
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The upgrade of Zanzibar educational infrastructure is part of KOICA’s support to the Development Vision 2025 of the Government of Tanzania. UNOPS role is to upgrade the infrastructure (Laboratory facilities, school facilities, teacher training centers, library, WASH facilities, etc.), procurement of equipment for EMS labs and Teacher Centers with ICT equipment.
The successful incumbent is expected to be based in Dar Es Salaam at the UN common compound. There is a likelihood that the office will be moved to Zanzibar, at a later date.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and under the overall guidance from the Head of Support Services, Administration Assistant manages and ensures the provision of efficient logistic and transportation support services to a relevant operational unit. In the discharge of her/his duties, the Administrative Assistant liaises with UNOPS programme support colleagues in order to ensure consistent service delivery for the office/programme. The Administration Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Summary of Key Functions
- Logistics and asset management support
- Transport services
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures provision of reliable logistics and asset management support, namely:
- Appropriate maintenance and safe and secure storage of all office equipment and property.
- Preparing accurate inventory lists and adequate property records for the office as well as for projects.
- Careful monitoring of the movement of equipment into and within the area of responsibility.
- Implementation of an equipment management and accounting system for all equipment and properties managed by the office, in accordance with UNOPS equipment policy.
- Processing of supply requisitions for office premises.
- Assistance with timely and effective customs clearance.
- Administering the receipt of goods and equipment for the office, inspection and report preparation.
Administers transport services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper maintenance, servicing and repair of all office vehicles for top performance and safe operating conditions in accordance with UNOPS vehicle management policy and procedures
- All official transport needs of Management and office personnel met with accompanying security arrangements.
- Daily vehicle log on petrol consumption and mileage.
- Implementation of a repair and maintenance system for all office equipment including EDP equipment, and generators, etc.
- Efficient building management and maintenance activities.
- Implementation of a power policy in line with capacity of the city power and generators.
- Assessment of contract services (cleaning, security, taxi, courier, etc.) in view of improving service level and/or identifying better solutions;
Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training events for the programme, operations and projects personnel on logistics and transport related subjects.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Impact of Results
The key results directly affect the overall efficiency of the team’s administrative services, impacting the office’s capacity to efficiently and effectively service the operational needs of the office/programme. Timely and accountable delivery of services, ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of the team and office as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
- Completion of secondary school is required. A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- A minimum of 4 years of administrative/operational experience in logistics and administration is required
- Ability to work with computer and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is desired
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English language is rquired. Knowledge of a second UN or regional working language is an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
This position is based in a family duty station
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration:‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Only Tanzanian Nationals or individuals with valid residency work permits are eligible to apply.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.