Company NameSNV Company Location Dar es Salaam, TZ
The Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) Programme is a 5-year, € 39 million project being implemented in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, which started in June 2018. The project uses an inclusive Business Development approach to support the international and Dutch efforts on climate change and sustainable production in arable farming. The programme will work with and through the private sector and supports public sector partners in creating an institutional environment for wide-scale adoption of CSA-practices. It is driven by 3 pillars: i) adoption of CSA practices & technologies in arable crop production farming systems; ii) acceleration of investments and business growth in selected value chains; iii) improved enabling environment for scaling out of CSA. Interventions are centred on business cases which are derived from a thorough climate risk assessment and financial analysis of value chains in pulses, oilseeds, potatoes and grains. A climate smart business case innovation and investment facility aims to further improve access to finance and facilitate scaling. The programme is implemented by a consortium consisting of SNV, Wageningen University & Research (WUR), the CGIAR research programme on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), Agriterra and Rabo Partnership, and is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS).
Overview Of The Position
The Agribusiness Expert / Country Project Manager and Sector Leader has the responsibility of the development and implementation of business cases whereby climate smart agriculture interventions are integrated into the value chain from an agronomic, financial and inclusion perspective. Prioritised value chain commodities are pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains. The incumbent will identify and support business cases for the co-investment fund and broker access to finance and investment of the businesses. S/he will coordinate and work with financial institutional partners to scale climate smart investments. The incumbent will take on delegated responsibility of in-country project management from the overall three country programme manager – who is likely to be based in Kenya.
As a senior member of staff and experienced technical staff member, the incumbent will also be responsible to lead the Agricultural Sector and guide the overall quality of the SNV Tanzania Agriculture sector content. S/he will support business development, resource mobilisation, steering the quality of technical advisory services, and overall management of the SNV Agricultural programmes in Tanzania.
S/he will enhance the quality and visibility of our Agriculture programmes and position SNV within the national Agriculture sector.
The PM/SL reports directly to the overall Programme Manager for CSA East Africa and the Tanzania Country Director and collaborates closely with the Agriculture global sector team.
• Programme Management
• Coordinate and contribute to value chains and climate risk assessments of prioritised commodities (pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains);
• Identify inclusive business cases for the climate innovation and investment facility;
• Support agribusinesses to develop the business cases;
• Establish appraisal criteria for the co-investment fund, design milestone based payment scheme and contribute to the assessment of the business cases;
• Coordinate with the fund manager the planning and disbursement of grant funds;
• Support the implementation and roll-out of business cases;
• Broker access to finance and investments between SME’s and financial institutions;
• Monitor and report the performance of the business cases as per the set milestones;
• Advise financial institutions on climate smart business investments to leverage climate finance money;
• Set-up of coaching programs on agribusiness management for female entrepreneurs and youth;
• Support agribusiness platforms to promote, advise and jointly agree on climate proofing value chains, policy recommendations and climate smart investments;
• Manage the in-country programme in all aspects of project management: budgets, work planning, human resource, activities and reporting;
• Oversee and support country programme implementation and report to the programme manager.
• Strategic Leadership: develop country level Agriculture strategy aligned to corporate Agriculture frameworks;
• Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative Agriculture programmes;
• People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local service providers and consultants;
• Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of Agriculture programmes in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
• Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
• Contribute to SNV Tanzania Management as a member of the Country Management Team.
• A relevant academic qualification: Agribusiness, Agricultural Economy or Business Administration;
• Minimum of ten years of experience of working with or in Agribusiness, preferably in the prioritised commodities (pulses, oil-seed, potatoes and grains);
• Knowledge of the prioritized commodities preferably at global level and in Tanzania;
• Experience in value chain development, climate smart agriculture, and agribusiness finance, preferable experience with climate finance;
• Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising business cases;
• Experience in female and youth entrepreneurship programs;
• Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders;
• Understanding of climate change risk management and inclusion of smallholder producers into the supply chain;
• Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
• International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
• Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
• Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills;
• Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated by the Country Director;
• Willingness to travel to all project locations.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time international post with the successful candidate being contracted on a 3-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing different people, ideas and perspectives together. We invite especially women to submit their application as we want to increase the number of women in leadership positions.
How To Apply
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 25 March 2019 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE