Reporting to the Site Manager, Accountant will be responsible for managing all KIWOCE finances and adhering to government regulations.
Position: Assistant Accountant
Reporting to: KIWOCE Site Manager
Contract Period: 1-year Full-time paid position, renewable
About the Organization
KIWOCE works to empower, educate, and promote social economic development for youth and local community members and others who seek advancement. The Center does this by providing children and young adults in the community, who could not access formal education, a place to develop their knowledge and skills to be capable of employment and/or further education.
KIWPCE runs KIWOCE Open School which is registered by the Institute of Adult Education (IAE) and provides Secondary Education in the informal sector (the QT system), Computer & English Short courses, Pre-Form One, Pre-Form Five and other short courses. As of 2020 the Center also is a registered Testing Center. English is the medium of communication at KIWOCE.
- To maintain accurate book keeping records of the Center
- To supervise and properly record the payment of all school incomes
- To put in place a proper system for students’ debt follow up and collection on time
- To ensure management of petty cash distribution and associated invoices and receipts
- Preparation of monthly payrolls with salaries and deductions and/or statutory requirements like PAYE, NSSF, HESLB, WCF, SDL etc.
- Undertaking banking activities for KIWOCE account(s); depositing income on time, checking balance, collecting bank statements, cashing checks etc.
- To prepare and maintain all necessary financial records for submission to the auditors, donors and other partners as needed
- To work with auditors in timely manner on any financial matter that requires follow-up
- To uphold higher level of accountability, honest, and transparency in all financial transactions and reporting
- To report any financial concern to her/his supervisor as immediate as possible
- To ensure adherence to KIWOCE financial policies and procedures and donor financial management requirements
- To perform any other responsibilities assigned by her/his supervisor.
- A minimum of two (2+) years’ experience in accounting/finance position, more specifically in educational sector
- A bachelor degree in accountancy, finance or procurement from a recognized university/college. A diploma holder in the related field with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in accounting/finance position will also be considered
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost
- Strong analytical skills in applying accounting principles and ensure that best practices are observed
- Skills for analyzing financial data and preparing financial statements
- Computer skills and an understanding of the use of accounting packages, more specifically use of QuickBooks
- Fluency in English
- An understanding of the workings and requirements of the Tanzanian financial regulatory
- Experience and enthusiasm in working with youth from backgrounds of limited resources
- Desire to support financial sustainability of the center
- Either international experience or exposure to international organization perspectives and expectations
You’ll fit into KIWOCE’s Culture if:
- You show a deep commitment to an environment that stresses student capabilities, positive nurturing and respect among all staff and students
- You value high standards of professionalism and rigor
- You value transparency as key to building collaborative teams
- You want to support the development of Tanzanian society above your own personal interests.
Mode of Application:
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter maximum of one page and a CV of four pages maximum to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th October 2020. Mentioning job title in your email subject. Please, also include your salary history and/or preferred salary for this position.
KIWOCE is an equal opportunity employer; people with disability and young women with required qualifications are also encouraged to apply.