Assistant Project Coordinator Vacancy – Nanopore Sequencing Project at NIMR
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Muhimbili Centre is looking for full-time qualified Tanzanians to fill the posts of Assistant Project coordinators who will work 100% in projects that are conducted in Dar es Salaam.
On behalf of the Director General of the National Institute for Medical Research, the Centre manager for NIMR Muhimbili wishes to advertise the post of Assistant Project Coordinators, which requires highly motivated and competent Tanzanians to fill the posts on annual contract basis with the possibility of renewal.
Nanopore Sequencing Project
NIMR – Muhimbili Research Center in collaboration with KNCV Tuberculosis foundation are implementing a study to investigate the utility of nanopore sequencing with MinION devices for the diagnosis and surveillance of infectious diseases, including at least tuberculosis (TB), COVID-19, and WHO antimicrobial Resistant Priority Pathogens. The project intends to strengthen capacity for molecular diagnostics at national and subnational laboratories and generate evidence on the utility of nanopore sequencing for routine diagnostics in clinical settings in MLIC.
POST. ASSISTANT PROJECT COORDINATOR: (1 POSITION)
The Assistant Project Coordinator will facilitate and coordinate daily project activities and play a critical role in implementing the project on infectious diseases focusing on tuberculosis and antimicrobial resistance. By performing these duties, the Assistant Project Coordinator will work with the Project Investigator and other stakeholders to support and provide guidance on the project’s administration, finances, personnel, and other related aspects.
Duties and responsibilities
- To ensure that preventive maintenance of equipment is carried out as planned;
- To participate in relevant research projects and compile reports on the same;
- To supervise, appraise staff, and identify their development and training needs;
- To execute a safety programme in the laboratory;
- To ensure proper records of laboratory investigations is maintained;
- To supervise, participate in laboratory activities, appraise staff, and identify their development and training needs.
- To perform any other related duties assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum qualifications and experience
- Holder of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in one of the following fields: Medical Laboratory Sciences, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or related field from a recognized Institution with working experience in a related field.
- At least 1 year of experience working in a tuberculosis biosafety level 3 laboratory
- Ability to prepare comprehensive project documentation and reporting, using MS Office software, for internal and stakeholders communication;
- Expert project management skills, including a demonstrated ability to define scope, manage stakeholders, manage schedule/task activity, manage change, and communicate risks;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize time appropriately and effectively;
- Strong language skills with fluent in written and spoken English and Swahili including presentation skills;
- Self-motivated, able to work independently to complete tasks and respond to appropriate project authority requests and to collaborate with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to identify quality solutions;
- Strong organization, planning and project management skills; ability to prioritize tasks for both self and team to meet requirements.
- The Assistant Project Coordinator will report to Project Principal Investigator.
- One year contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
- The successful candidate will be based at NIMR Muhimbili, Dar-es-Salaam.
- A competitive salary will be offered as per Government of Tanzania Regulations.
Mode of Application
All applications should be enclosed with certified photocopies of relevant certificates and detailed curriculum vitae and reminded to indicate all necessary information for communication. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
Applicants are required to submit their applications to the address below.
Acting Centre Manager,
National Institute for Medical Research,
Muhimbili Medical Research Centre,
P O Box 3436,
Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA,
The deadline for submitting the application is 22 September 2023