Brand Manager at Diageo Tanzania
As a global leader in beverage alcohol, our 200+ brands are part of everyday celebrations in over 180 countries. Our ambition? We want to be one of the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products companies in the world.
Ever since Arthur Guinness took out a 9,000 year lease on a Dublin brewery, some 250 years ago, we became a business that is defined by the character of the people who work here. It took immense character from Alexander Walker to convince the captains of every ship in the port of Glasgow to take crates of Johnnie Walker to the four corners of the world. Today, nothing’s changed.
We’re proud to be more than 30,000 talented people. While they make our iconic brands ever stronger around the world, we help them go further than they thought possible. In fact, we’re helping to define their career growth through stretching roles and exciting development opportunities.
Diageo is where you’ll find a wide variety of personalities, experiences and perspectives, wherever you’re based in the world. It makes for a stimulating and rewarding working environment, where everyone can flourish.
Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the second largest listed company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company with a market share of around 20%. SBL was incorporated in 1988 as Associated Breweries Limited and changed its name to Serengeti Breweries Limited in 2002, and commenced commercial operations in 1996 with one brewery in Dar es Salaam. 51% of the company was acquired by EABL in October 2010 and has three breweries located in Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Moshi.
SBL flagship brand is Serengeti Premium Lager. Other brands in the portfolio include Tusker Lager, Guinness, Kibo Gold, Pilsner and Senator. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo international renowned spirits brands such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Gordon’s, Bailey’s and Captain Morgan.
Purpose of role
To deliver breakthrough business performance on the brand category while building the equity and future value of the category
To develop a brand strategy that supports delivery of the marketing strategy and that ensures that the brand is firmly established among the most aspirational category in Tanzania.
Portfolio specific; but deals with other functions such as Sales, Marketing, Finance, Operations and Procurement.
- The role is responsible for activities in a specific portfolio, beer or spirit or both
Leadership Responsibilities and Decision Making Rights
The role will require the incumbent to develop broad cross functional working relationships across commercial, business support and supply community interfaces. Furthermore, this role will need to develop strong relationships with the Global Brand Team and Regional team. The role also requires leadership of key external partners, specifically agencies.
- Development of the brand strategy in alignment with the marketing strategy; includes leading the annual GAME Plan as well as the annual Pricing Strategy.
- Development and implementation of insight based activity to achieve long-term sustained growth; incorporates the development, implementation and evaluation of strong creative campaigns and communication channel strategies for the brand ensuring optimal investment of A&P resources to deliver business results for the brand.
- Development of brand innovation & renovation plans in relation to the navigate process, including line extensions, working with innovation project managers and the global brand teams to deliver timeously.
- Ownership and monitoring of holistic brand performance, initiating interventions where necessary ; this will require the tracking of consumer and commercial business performance on a regular basis including P&L management, consumer tracking and share tracking while ensuring M&E is a core component of the brand strategy and plan.
- Building strong relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders specifically brand owners, media, advertising, RM/ digital, PR, promoter and specialist agencies. Be the Global Brand Team point of contact in-market and manage timeous and accurate deliverables and build great relationships with them.
Qualifications and experience required
- Appropriate tertiary marketing qualification – degree
- Post graduate degree an advantage.
- Computer literacy: Word, Excel, Power-point, MS Project
- High cognitive ability.
- Minimum of 3-4 years Brand Management experience with previously demonstrated success within this environment.
- Experience working with and successfully managing agencies / strategic partner relationships.
- Demonstrated success in a demanding, complex business environment.
- Strategic penetration: minimum requirement is baseline
- Consumer insight: minimum requirement is developing
- Motivating and inspiring agencies and cross-functional teams: developing
- Marketing judgement: minimum requirement is developing
- Commerciality: minimum requirement is developing
- Excellence in execution: minimum requirement is experienced
- Portfolio profitability: minimum requirement is developing
- Innovation: minimum requirement is baseline
Barriers to success in role
- Inability to grasp complexity of market (multiple channels, languages, cultural differences, norms and practices)
- Inability to influence people across all the levels in the organization.
- Inability to balance multiple priorities and work to a series of tight deadlines.
- Inability to make rapid decisions and respond quickly to organization change.
- Lack of technology literacy and interest.
- Lack of leadership capability
- Lack of personal drive.
Worker Type :
Dar es Salaam