Jhpiego seeks a Business Analyst to provide technical assistance and programmatic support for an upcoming CDC opportunity entitled “Strengthening the Government of Tanzania’s Capacity to Develop, Implement and Use Digital Health to Achieve HIV/TB Epidemic Control through Interoperable Information Systems, Governance, Quality Improvement and Workforce Support under PEPFAR.” The project aims to build affordable, effective client level and aggregate HIS, the digital infrastructure to exchange data among diverse health related HIS, and a data and technology competent workforce using a technical assistance model. These HIS and data use activities will ensure that health services are digitally linked to community, facility, laboratory, reporting, surveillance, commodity/supply chain, mortality and other health related systems with a goal to maximize efforts to achieve and sustain epidemic control. The successful applicant will be expected to partner with the GoT to plan, design or adapt, develop, implement, evaluate and use secure, standards based interoperable HIS for client care and program improvement.
The Business Analyst will provide technical assistance and programmatic support, at national, provincial, and district levels. The project will operate over a five-year period. The position will operate under the leadership of the Principal Investigator/Project Director, and will ensure the technical and methodological soundness of project activities. In collaboration with project team and partners, the position will support the design and implementation of project strategies based on scientific evidence.
This position is contingent upon award from CDC. Tanzanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide technical assistance to the strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities in close collaboration with the Principal Investigator/Project Director and technical teams
- Ensure interventions supported by strategic technical assistance are evidence- and best-practice-based and aligned with project, MOH, CDC, and PEPFAR goals and technical priorities
- Conduct user research, draft user stories, and meet with product owners to validate and enhance them
- Collaborate with Visual/UI designer and add/update stories based on user response.
- Create wireframes for the user stories and review them with users and gather feedback
- Document workflows and processes based on requirements
- Document requirements and provide final technical review and validation of requirements
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results, and other reporting requirements as requested
- Coordinate, facilitate, and lead meetings to determine needs of customers, as well as determine the impact of system changes or changes to program implementation.
- Work with stakeholders and the project team to prioritize collected requirements
- Provide capacity building support through training and demonstrations as required
- Oversee requirements tracking process, assign requirements to the appropriate service provider, and communicate status to customers
- Support the collection and reporting of requirements related metrics
- Verify completion of requirements with customer and service providers, ensuring expectations are appropriately met
- Ensure user stories include validation criteria which reasonably covers all areas necessary for complete testing of the new functionality
- Provide additional support and guidance to clients during the implementation phase to include development of training resources
- Proactively contribute to the quality of the product by seeking and proposing new or alternate approaches to address the requirements
- Research, review, and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing requirements gathering processes and develop strategies for enhancing or further leveraging these processes
- Maintain excellent relationships with CDC and in-country stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health, health information systems, laboratory science, computer science, or other related technical discipline
- At least 3 years’ experience in implementing and/or providing technical assistance to donor-funded projects and in the design and implementation of overseas health projects; preferably for HIS or Digital Health-related projects, and in Tanzania
- 5+ years of relevant applications/systems requirements and modeling experience
- 3+ years of experience on the technical aspects of applications development projects through the full system development life cycle
- Experience in modern requirement gathering techniques, including creation of user stories, epics, and themes
- Experience with agile, iterative cycles (sprints)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Microsoft Project and SharePoint
- Proficient in Dev/Ops tools especially JIRA
- Experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in facilitating HIS skills transfer and capacity building of the MOH and local institutions/stakeholders; experience developing and maintaining HIS systems, including the scale-up of an electronic health record (EHR) system to all provinces in its full deployment package; continued maintenance of the MOH’s national data warehouse (NDW), systems interoperability, and health information exchange (HIE); and advancing the production and timely utilization of information in response to national HIV/TB priorities
- Demonstrated experience training government and provincial-level healthcare workers on HIS support and systems development, deployment, and maintenance
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: health information systems, data management and analytics, software development, health workforce development, and HIS governance
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the Tanzanian healthcare system, particularly the public health system, experience living and working in Tanzania preferred
- Familiarity with CDC/PEPFAR’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems desired
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with CDC, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English and Swahili
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites 30% of time
- Experience in Human Centered Design approach for developing digital and health information systems services
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment and have sound judgment.
- Attention to detail, quick learner, have a positive attitude, ability to multi-task, self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of methodology and subject matter related concepts, practices, standards and procedures with a general knowledge of other related business disciplines
- Able to work closely with all project stakeholders such as business users, project managers, and business analysts while delivering solutions
- Works with limited supervision