The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded PS3 Activity in Tanzania promotes the delivery, quality and use of public services, particularly for underserved populations. PS3 strengthens the Local Government Authority systems to promote inclusive and evidence-based planning and the management and implementation of services across sectors, including health, education and agriculture. PS3 focuses on extending interoperable systems, money and public workers to facilities to improve their autonomy, transparency, accountability and efficiency so they can provide high quality services to Tanzania’s citizens.
The Health Financing Specialist (HFS) will work under the supervision of the PS3 Finance Technical Lead. The HFS will lead activities to strengthen health financing at the national, regional and LGA levels. The HFS will be based in Dar es Salaam but will be expected to travel to other locations up to 30% of the time.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Engage in national level policy dialogue on a variety of health financing topics, particularly those leading towards Single National Health Insurance, and participate in the Health Financing Technical Working Group
- Provide technical assistance to develop the hospital accounting system, including for the development of hospital cost accounting, case classification, relative weights, simulate, CM/IS
- Provide technical assistance to refine primary health care per capita provider payment system, harmonize health basket fund & iCHF, automate and integrate into NHIF
- Support unique aspects of results based financing (e.g. payment, data quality) and integrate into direct health facility financing
- Engage in dialogue on the implementation and refinement of the direct health facility financing management and monitoring framework
- Provide technical assistance and support the health financing aspects of integrating key information systems, including Muungano Gateway & HIM, GOTHOMIS, HMIS, eLMIS, and NHIF, MSD Epicor 9 and FFARS, HICM/IS
- Support resource tracking, including National Health Accounts
- Analyze cost data in interoperable systems, and feedback into refining policy and provider payment systems
- Support umbrella activity harmonizing spending guidelines to reduce funds flow fragmentation, remove public financial management rigidities to enable health facilities to better procure inputs to deliver service outputs and move to single national health insurance
- Provide user support for PlanRep and FFARS and mentor stakeholders on DHFF procurement and financial management
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Degree in Public Health, Public Affairs, Supply Chain or other relevant field, Masters or Doctorate Degree preferred
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in a government or donor-supported project environment
- Background in health financing and resource mobilization
- Experience in using/applying costing models/tools
- Experience in developing and/or implementing result-based financing models
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks, and work in close collaboration with other steam members
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, initiative, and good judgment
- Advanced written/oral skills in English and Kiswahili
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
- Knowledge of commodities supply chain management is desirable
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.