Job title: Chief Accountant
Job type: Permanent
Emp type: Full-time
• Travel and Tourism
Job published: 11-03-2019
Job ID: 32152
• Managing the company financial system (creating and authorizing users).
• Master and manage the Company Chart of Accounts and align with other units.
• Review, processing and posting of day to day transactions batches, which should be properly coded and classified.
• Ensure that the Company fixed asset register is up to date and coordinate annual/cyclic verification of all assets.
• Review report from fixed assets verification and timely report to GFM any issues arising.
• Ensure that all bank reconciliations are properly done and in timely manner.
• Ensure that new suppliers are properly approved before they are captured in the system.
• Check and approve the monthly suppliers’ reconciliations. Ensure that Assistant FM had done thorough review of the supplier reconciliations.
• Ensure that suppliers are paid on time as per agreed credit terms.
• Regular review of all bank reconciliations. Issues to be reported to GFM.
• Ensure that all TANAPA & TAWA payments are done on time and are reconciled against number of guests on monthly basis.
• Ensure that all people included in payrolls are genuine employees of the company.
• Ensure that salaries are paid and posted on time and all statutory deductions (NSSF, PAYE, SDL, workman compensation) are done on time.
• Ensure that Intercompany balances are reconciled and confirmed on monthly basis.
• Ensure staff imprests, advances, and loans are recovered on timely basis and the list of outstanding balances reconciled to Trial balance, discussed and follow up actions are taken.
• Assist in pushing for payments from debtors.
• Ensure that all transactions are timely, accurately and completely recorded, classified and reported in compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
• Manage the preparation of the company’s budget in coordination with Group Finance Manager
• Create budget awareness to non-finance managers
• Manage the upload process into Accpac and reconciliation to approved budget
• Report to management on variances from the approved budget, and the reasons for those variances, assisted by Management Accountant.
• Assist management in the formulation of its overall financial direction
• Tax Matters
• Manage tax audits with minimal issues and minimal financial impact. Experience in managing tax audits and working with TRA officials is an added advantage.
• Ensure that VAT returns are prepared, and payments are made on time. Imported services are included in VAT returns
• Review monthly VAT reconciliation between GL and VAT return. Also ensure annual reconciliations is done and adjustment notes (if any) are filed with TRA.
• Ensure that bi-annual returns for PAYE/SDL/WHT are done and filed timely as per required by Tanzania tax laws.
• Ensure provisional tax assessments are done accurately and on time
• Ensure tax computations and annual returns are done and filed on time
• Keep abreast with all tax changes and timely assess their impact to the company and advise management and ensure timely compliance
• Generally, ensure timely compliance with all tax provisions and ensure that all transactions are reviewed from a tax angle to ensure thorough compliance.
• Financial Reporting and Analysis
• Timely preparation and interpretation of financial report (management accounts)
• Timely preparation of Capex and operational reports
• Perform variance analysis between actual results and budgets, and provide commentaries on the monthly financial performance and establish areas of potential operational improvement
• Timely preparation of quarterly reports (balance and P&L)
• Manage the capital expenditure budget by ensuring that capital expenditures for the month are properly captured and reported and compared to the budget
• Create additional analyses and reports as requested by management.
• Internal Controls and Internal & external Audit
• Develop and maintain strong Internal control environment
• Develop and maintain dynamic business processes and control activities for all key business cycles (shared and files in one location for regular references)
• Ensure that, Company policies and procedures are strictly followed by all stakeholders
• Make sure that the finance team cooperate with Internal Auditors during internal audit process.
• Ensure that matters raised by Internal audit are addressed on time and they are not repeated.
• Liaise with external auditors and plan for an efficient external audit process.
• Preparation of IFRS compliant financial statements
• Manage audit budgets
• Ensure that audits are completed within the shortest period possible and all relevant outputs including tax computations, tax returns and audited financial statements are signed and filed on time.
HR related responsibilities
• Maintain dynamic job descriptions for all direct reports.
• Conduct timely performance appraisals of direct reports and highlights areas of improvements
• Training, coaching, and development junior staff
• Ensure that staff are motivated and delivering the assigned task efficiently and effectively
• Closely work with HR department in all other staff matters.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• At least four years of experience in a similar position;
• Experience with operations preferred.
• CPA/ACCA or equivalent preferred.
• Experience with big four preferred but not a requirement
• Strong experience in income statement, balance sheets and ratios analysis.
• Advanced Excel skills, ability to work with lookups and pivot tables.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Experience with ACCPAC /Sage 300 or equivalent
• Experience in Business Intelligence, a plus.
Other Duties & Expectations
• Manage small projects and other tasks as assigned from time to time.
• Should be Self-driven and motivated. Should not be micromanaged.
• Take initiative and demonstrate ability to work as part of a team
• Manage the impacts of workload/issues to team deadlines and have a very positive work attitude including willing to work some longer hours during peak periods.
• Strong Organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly when presenting the analyses of results to management.
• Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects
TO APPLY CLICK HERE