- Organization: UNV – United Nations Volunteers
- Location: Zanzibar (Tanzania)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Children’s rights (health and protection)
- Legal – Broad
- Social Affairs
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Political Affairs
- Closing Date: 2020-01-23
Description of taskThrough their work with UNICEF, and through guidance of their supervisors, the UN Volunteer will collaborate with other UN Agencies based in Zanzibar, notably, UNFPA, UNDP, WHO, UNESCO, UNWOMEN, IOM and FAO on the Delivering as One and will cooperate with the following Government institutions both at the central and decentralized levels in Unguja and Pemba:
Ministry of Labour, Empowerment, Elders, Women, and Children (MLEEWC), President’s Office, Regional Administration, Local Government and Special Departments (PORALGSD), Ministry of Finance and Planning (MOFP), The Second Vice President’s Office, Office of the Chief Government Statistician (OCGS), Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs, Police Commission, High Court, Regional and District Offices and CSOs.
Under the joint direct supervision of the child protection and the social policy programme specialist the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
Under Child Protection (70%)
Under the general guidance of the supervisor, the UN Volunteer will contribute to providing technical support and assistance in all stages of Child Protection programming related advocacy from strategic planning and formulation to delivery of concrete and sustainable results. This includes programs aimed at (a) monitoring district child protection activities; (b) monitoring activities under PCAs; (c) working with faith leaders and other influencers on advocacy and awareness creation on child protection; (d) support establishing community-based foster care program, and (e) monitoring delivery of Violence Against Children (VAC) communications package for children in schools. This encompasses both direct programme work with government and civil society partners as well as linkages to teams working on education, health, nutrition, social policy, and HIV.
Under the direct supervision of the Zanzibar Child Protection Specialist, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
1. Support District Child Protection Activities in Unguja and Pemba
- Support capacity building for District Social Welfare and Women and Children Officers through training, on-job coaching, on-site support and mentoring.
- Attend monthly women and children committee meetings at the district levels for monitoring purposes
- Review district child protection case management processes and provide feedback to the District Officers
- Support capacity building for Shehia Women and Children Coordinators and Shehia Women and Children Committees through training
- Participate in the community awareness creation interventions and document the process
2. Work with faith leaders and other influencers on advocacy and awareness creation on child protection
- Support the Mufti’s Office to develop and implement the annual and quarterly plans on child protection awareness interventions
- Support the Zanzibar Association of Imams (JUMAZA) on implementation of activities under the SSFA to be developed
- Monitor activities implemented through faith leaders and review their progress reports
3. Support implementation of child protection activities in schools
- Conduct school visits in covered districts to monitor the delivery of messages on VAC to teachers and students, availability of the Guidance and Counselling Teachers who also serve as child protection focal persons, and storage and use of the VAC communication material.
- Work with the local consultant who will conduct the evaluation of communication package on VAC for children in schools
- Support organization and delivery of training for Guidance and Counselling Teachers to new districts on the VAC communication tool kit.
- Support implementation of the whole school program
For Social Policy (30%)
The UN Volunteer will integrate into the Social Policy, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation (SPRME) team in order to:
- Support implementation, monitoring, and follow-up of the Annual Work Plan with the Office of the Chief Government Statistician.
- Support/guide the Social Protection Unit (MLEEWC), specifically in monitoring and evaluation (collection of quantitative and qualitative data for reporting) of the social protection implementation plan.
- Support the Department of Disability Affairs (DDA) to strengthen the M&E system for children with disabilities.
- M&E capacity building. Supporting the development of capacities of Social Protection Unit (Social Protection Officers), Department of Disability Affairs to enable them to increasingly engage in and lead M&E processes within their Institutions
- Provide coordination and logistical support for events such as workshops, training, where relevant.
- Provide ad-hoc support to M&E and data-related activities that may come up.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent Education – Additional Comments:
- University degree in Social Work, Sociology, Counselling Psychology, Planning, Monitoring or other related areas of Social Sciences
- Excellent communication (English and Kiswahili), networking, negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse team
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Full computer literacy and internet browsing skills.
- Experience in research and data analysis is an asset.
Required experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
- Up to two years’ practical professional experience in the following areas: social work, social services, research, reporting, database management, monitoring and evaluation of human rights or public policies or any other relevant field of work.
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Online research skills, Information management.
- Experience in training and networking with partners
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Kiswahili(Mandatory), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Social work Driving license: No Competencies values:Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams