The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
KEMC has its own Technical Services Unit (TSU) which comprises a core group of technical staff supplemented by experts employed on a retainer basis. The group conducts feasibility studies and assessments and engages in design and monitoring work. The core group’s skills include Civil, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Ground surveying and GIS, Architecture and Quantity Surveyors. The Civil Engineering Technician-Retainers will provide additional capacity and particularly to the civil engineering team.
Specifically, the Civil Engineering Technician-Retainers will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve but not limited to:
- Production of detailed dimensional civil engineering drawings of roads, water infrastructure, and earth work related projects
- Assist in preparing other project documentation such as specifications, bar bending schedules and maps
- Assist in ensuring the documents prepared meet the required detailing and design standards
- Assist in timely delivery of the expected outputs.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time
A Bachelor degree with 2 years of relevant experience in Civil & Structural Engineering is required.
A technical professional diploma in Civil & Structural Engineering or similar with 4 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 2 years as a CAD technician or in drafting civil and structural engineering drawings is required.
- Experience using Revit, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, CADS RC and other relevant drawing software is required.
- Experience working on civil and earthworks projects is desired.
Fluency in written and oral English language required.
Integrity and Inclusion; Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading self and other: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution-focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA 8 (ICS 8) Retainer
Contract duration: ‘One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
This is a home based position**
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
*It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks. *
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMC)
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC/East and Southern Africa sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, other UN partners, development banks and funds. The multi-country office also supports multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Eritrea. The Nairobi based Technical Services Unit provides UN/OPS and external partners infrastructure assessment, planning, design, feasibility and safeguards services.
Deadline for applications is 11 November, 2020.