The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Communication Assistant.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a member of a world-wide network of International Agricultural Research Centers. IITA’s research focuses on smallholder cropping systems in sub-Saharan Africa. IITA has a regional hub in Dar es Salaam,Tanzania which co-ordinates the work of the institute in East Africa.
This is a Nationally Recruited Position and the incumbent will be based in Dar es Salaam,Tanzania
- Document and communicate news, updates and stories from various projects for wider dissemination and contribute to the various IITA communications tools including blog, web and bulletin.
- Monitor and archive stories in the print and news media in Tanzania that cite IITA.
- Provide editorial and communication support and documentation of project activities.
- Support the production and dissemination of communication materials on IITA” s technologies and success stories through writing features, press releases, production of books, training manuals, posters etc.
- Support planning and implementing information campaigns organized to promote IITA’s generated findings and knowledge as needed.
- Contribute to the dissemination of knowledge and experiences of the project through participation in related events such as field visits, training and workshops.
- Perform any other activities as may be assigned by the Regional Corporate Communications Officer, Eastern Africa.
Qualification and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Communication with at least 3 years’ experience or a Post Graduate Diploma in Communications or Journalism or a related field from a recognized university.
- Ability to conceptualize, design and implement communication campaigns, strategies and programs.
- Very good knowledge of oral and written English.
- Communication and facilitation ‘generalist’ – editing, writing, policy communication, community engagement, Internet tools and skills, information management, process facilitation, reporting and administration.
- Experience in working with different national media.
- Excellent knowledge of modern communication tools and approaches, and solid experience in knowledge management, including ICT and web 2.0 tools applications like wiki, Flickr, slideshare, Yammer, Youtube, Dropbox and blogging.
- Self-starter able to work on agreed priorities and deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in an international environment.
- Good knowledge of the agricultural development scene.
The initial contract for the position is for two years: renewable subject to performance and availability of funds. The duty station for the position will be IITA in Dar es salaam.This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope.
Please note that any applications without the reference indicated will be automatically disqualified.
Closing date: 09 April, 2020
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.