Position: Officer, Communications
Tanzania – Main – Dar Es Salaam
The person in this role spends the majority of his or her time providing global marketing and awareness, fundraising, and country-specific communications support. This primarily includes providing material development and donor engagement support. It also includes vendor management and reporting, as well as local awareness and public relations.
This person reports directly to country director. The role works in close coordination and is in frequent contact with the global office of Room to Read, headquartered in San Francisco, California, USA, to ensure requests are understood and completed, guidelines are followed, and the role is supported with professional development opportunities and global office communications support.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Material Development and Support
- Create content for global office marketing materials. This includes collecting and writing stories about our impact, including photography and video-based stories; providing content for global office website; and supporting global awareness campaign content.
- Create content for unique stewardship materials for donor management.
- Using guidelines provided by global office, create or helping to create country office annual reports, newsletters, brochures/fact sheets, PowerPoint decks and other materials for local stakeholder meetings.
Supports the Country Office by using the guidelines provided by the global office to identify, hire, supervise and train outside vendors (photographers, videographers, printing/design, etc.) to support both global office material development and donor reporting materials (e.g. project-specific photos).
Review donor reporting photos to ensure high quality and guidelines followed.
Taking photographs for donor reports.
Provide language support for donor reports, as needed.
- Plan, coordinate and host support for donor visits and corporate employee engagement visits and volunteering.
- Support relationship management for existing corporate donors, including support to special corporate programmatic initiatives in-country and implement any specific public relations needs in country related to the partnership.
- Train country office staff on site visits and messaging (orientation and ongoing capacity building).
Creative Controller (Vendor Relations)
Responsible for overseeing creative materials produced by the country office. This includes accountability of photo/video collection and quality control for global marketing and donor materials produced within the country office, working in close collaboration with the country director and program operations staff to complete tasks.
Public Relations and Awareness
- Develop, implement and evaluate local public relations strategy based on local needs and target audience(s).Establish and maintain relationships with local journalists and news/media agencies.
- Support local PR/awareness raising opportunities, as needed, at celebrations and events.
- Act as brand custodian and ambassador to country office using global branding guidelines; train staff on message and brand training (new hires).
- Contribute local content on global and local social media feeds per global office. Guidelines. If there is no local social media presence, still contribute content to global office.
- Supporting Donor Engagement Team
Resource Refinement – Simplifying and further refining out Country Office training resources, and potentially testing updated versions with teams in the Country Office.
Preparing PowerPoint training presentation for all new officers in Site Visits in the Country Office.
Support upcoming treks.
Donor Engagement Calendar, Reviewing and refining content and checking to see that information is consistent with Global Office approved Donor visit calendar, and also following up with Global Office to clarify/modify their calendars, along with other coordination and tool-building components.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree in a related field (e.g. communications, marketing, public relations etc.)
- 5 years of relevant work experience
- Prior experience in: creating communications materials; project management; is preferred.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with design and photography principles, ideally with experience using software such as Adobe In Design, Photoshop,
- Comfort working both independently and closely with diverse teams and collaborators
- Highly organized: Ability to multitask, manage multiple deliverables/timelines and ensure all deadlines are met
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Outlook
- Experience using social marketing and outreach tools including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Attention to detail
Dar es Salaam Region
Location(s) Tanzania – Main – Dar Es Salaam
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled