Job Title: Community Linkage and Retention Technical Advisor (1 position)
Reports to: Technical Manager
Position Location: Dar es Salaam
Overall Job Summary
The Community Linkage and Retention Technical Advisor provides technical leadership and
oversight in the areas of HIV and TB program linkages, community-based care, and adherence
support, for the USAID Police and Prison Activity in Tanzania. THPS aim to reduce new HIV
infections and retain clients on ART through targeted HIV testing services and partner
notification, linkage to treatment and prevention services, and support for adherence and viral
suppression. As for TB, the goal is to retain TB diagnosed clients in treatment and facilitate
identification of index cases related to those on treatment. The Community Linkage and
retention Technical Advisor will provide oversight and guidance to ensure at least 95% of
newly diagnosed HIV-positive clients are linked to and enrolled in treatment; 100% of TB
diagnosed are initiated on TB treatment; track both HIV positive and TB clients lost to followup and re-engage them in clinical care for ART and TB and adherence services respectively,
and support for viral suppression for the PLHIV, and facilitate strong facility-community
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Provide technical leadership in developing and adapting strategies and interventions to
improve existing linkage and ART retention services to facilitate high quality HIV linkage,
ART adherence, and viral suppression services in the community and facilities based on
proven, innovative strategies, and best practices.
• Provide technical leadership to improved adherence to TB treatment among TB cases,
facilitate nutritional support where needed; and coordinate index case tracing of all TB cases.
• Liaise with technical team to ensure all activities and strategies implemented at facility level
for community linkages and ART and TB DOT retention comply and adhere to MoHCDGEC
policies, guidelines, Standards and Procedures
• Liaise with THPS central, zonal, R/CHMT and facility to strengthen community-facility
linkage and retention strategies in all supported sites.
• Provide technical oversight to THPS zonal teams to ensure high quality of linkage services
and ART and TB- case treatment retention mechanisms are effectively implemented across
all supported sites.
• Liaise with SI team to design and support timely and responsive implementation, monitoring
and evaluation, and reporting for community linkage and ART Retention services in all
regions of support.
• Provide mentorship and coaching to Zonal THPS teams, district teams and facility staffs to
ensure implementation of linkage and ART and TB treatment retention service delivery with
• Actively participate in identification, training and support supervision of the Regional,
district and respective Health Facility Teams
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
• Degree in Social Sciences and Nursing, postgraduate training in Public or
• Master in Public Health is an added advantage
• Strong experience and understanding of integrated linkage and ART retention programs
including HIV prevention, care and treatment services
• Strong understanding of engaging with facility and community stakeholders, and experience
in strategy development and planning
• Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance at individual and
• Demonstrated Skilled and experience in at least two or more of the following technical areas:
HIV care and treatment, HIV testing and counseling, quality improvement for HIV programs;
monitoring and evaluation for HIV programs.
• Extensive experience of implementing Community-Based Programs
• Knowledge of the current developments, focus, targets and best practices in the field of
Linkage and ART retention in HIV and AIDS, globally and in Tanzania;
• Good communication skills; diplomatic and culturally sensitive; ability to work
independently minimal supervision;
• Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and
professional relationships with key stakeholders
• Excellent command of Swahili and English languages, in written and oral communication
• Experience in basic computer applications such as MS Word, Excel and Power point.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their application cover letter one-page maximum and CV four pages’ maximum to [email protected] by (10 th November 2020) with a subject line of ‘USAID Police and Prisons Activity’. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women, people living with HIV/AIDS and people living with disability are encouraged to apply