Entity: Graduate School of Media & Communications
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents (www.aku.edu). An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and will report to the Director, Innovation Center
The Tanzania Community Manager will implement the Futures Project innovation agenda and manage innovation activities. The successful Candidate will work with the Futures Project leadership to establish the Innovating Center in Dar es salaam, Tanzania. The Community Manager will oversee the Innovators in residence program as well as the centers’ training activities in Tanzania.
- Assist in preparing the annual plan and budget
- Oversee the operations and maintenance of the innovation center, including repairs, equipment and supplies within budget guidelines
- Oversee/coordinate the preparation and filing of necessary reports, budgets, acquisition of government licenses and gran use reports as per the grant agreement with the donor.
- Ensure that the sub-grants are disbursed in a timely and efficient manner.
- In consultation with stakeholders, develop and manage Innovation accelerator services, including the Innovator in Residence Program and Project grants program.
- Lead the client support activities of the innovation Center, including quality training programs, business advisory/mentoring, access to finance, access to information and policy
- Convene events and a comprehensive suite of activities and informational sessions to support the center activities and engage relevant stakeholders on issues relevant to media start-ups and innovation for media viability
- Mentor innovators and other staff and other participants
- Business advisory and engage relevant stakeholders on issues relevant to media
- With support from the legal department, develop licenses/assignments and other commercialization agreements, to support the commercialization of innovation.
- In consultation with relevant grant partners develop collaboration agreements to support the innovation process, network activities and commercialization of innovation.
- Develop and maintain a rapport with clients, mentors, support staff, administration, project members, partner organizations and other stakeholders as need to carry out job respectabilities in a professional manner.
- Provide clear guidelines on, matters relating to intellectual property and its management as they arise and work closely with the legal department to ensure the best interest of all.
- Design and lead due diligence processes to assess the originality of innovation and its commercialization potential.
- Develop and expand opportunities for commercialization and development of innovative products and services.
- Work with the Center director and other stakeholders, identify financiers to support incubation activities
- Establish regular meetings and contacts with internal and external stakeholders to ensure seamless delivery across all aspects of the futures project
- Liaise and set up meeting with innovation Centre staff and the project team to ensure that they are well supported and know where to go for support.
- A Post Graduate qualification in business/ communication/technology media innovation or related area
- Minimum of five years’ administrative management experience preferably in an innovation hub
- Ability to lead the center in state-of-the-art technology and emerging media practices.
- Experience and /or education in relevant areas such as facilities management, planning, entrepreneurship, event management, volunteer management, use of social media, marketing
- Self- starter capable of identifying and assessing opportunities for commercialization and networking with academics and industries to realize those opportunities
- A strong network within the East African region
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Interested candidates should submit a Cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, names and email contacts of three professional referees, telephone contact, e-mail address and copies of relevant academic certificates as well as transcripts to, the Human Resources Department, Aga Khan University, Tanzania. P. O. Box 125 or by email to [email protected]. Applications by email are preferred.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for submitting the application is 13 February, 2021