Location : Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA
Application Deadline : 14-Feb-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Time left : 1d 23h 13m
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 25-Feb-2019
Expected Duration of Assignment : Seven months
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of its efforts, UN Women is mandated to lead and coordinate United Nations’ system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming are translated into action. It is also mandated to provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women in Tanzania is implementing its Country Strategic Note for the period 2017-2021, which focuses on Women’s Leadership and Political Participation, Women’s Economic Empowerment, Ending Violence against Women and Girls, Financing for Gender Equality and Gender Statistics. The Strategic Note (2017-2021) is fully aligned to the United Nations Development Assistance Programme (UNDAP) II for Tanzania covering the period 2016-2021, under UN Delivering as One.
UN Women plans to expand its Women’s Economic Empowerment portfolio with a focus on women smallholder farmers, traders and entrepreneurs with a value chain approach in the context of a changing climate. Women’s limited access to markets and productive resources including land, finance, agricultural inputs and value addition will be addressed with consideration of customary law and practices of land ownership discriminating against women. On behalf of the UN system in Tanzania, UN Women is leading the development of a Joint UN Program on Women’s Economic Empowerment Through Agriculture in the Context of Climate Change. The Country Office is also leading the WEE component of a Joint UN Program on Realizing Gender Equality through Empowering Women and Adolescent Girls in Tanzania. UN Women intends to hire an international consultant with experience and knowledge in donor coordination for resource mobilization purposes, and strong program design experience to support the development of the program documents.
Under the overall policy guidance and direction of the Representative and direct supervision by the Deputy Representative, the international consultant will support programming and resource mobilization efforts of the Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) portfolio, including: 1) conducting and coordinating follow-up actions required to finalize the development on the Joint UN Program on Realizing Gender Equality through Empowering Women and Adolescent Girls in Tanzania; and 2) finalization of the UN Joint Programme (UNJP) on Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) Through Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA). To achieve the two key deliverables, the consultant will be required to undertake needs assessment missions, desk reviews, stakeholder and validation meetings, revise the two program proposals, and participate in donor meetings, as well as support overall WEE programming, planning, coordination and management as relevant. The finalization of the two programs (Joint UN Program on Realizing Gender Equality through Empowering Women and Adolescent Girls in Tanzania; and the UNJP on Women Economic Empowerment through Climate Smart-Agriculture) will be undertaken in close partnership with respective participating UN agencies and donors and in close consultation with UN coordination mechanisms, such as the UNDAP II Outcome Area on Economic Growth and Employment and the UN Program Management Team (PMT). The consultant will also seek advice and inputs from UN Women policy advisors in the Regional Office and in Headquarters. S/He will also perform any other duties related to the consultancy , as requested by senior management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the UN Women Tanzania Office to submit updated version of the Joint program document (PCP) on Realizing Gender Equality through Empowering Women and Adolescent Girls in Tanzania, in respect to the donor requirements:
• Collect detailed information and data against a questionnaire on GEWE and respond to any additional requests from the donor of the project;
• Undertake and coordinate the secondary review of Climate Smart Agriculture policies and Industrial Cluster Development;
• Facilitate and coordinate the primary analysis of the detailed local context, stakeholders and beneficiaries building on the findings from the feasibility assessment mission conducted with the donor and partner UN agency;
• Facilitate and complete updating the program document with all specific components reflecting the feedback from the joint Donor/UN mission, questionnaire, and findings from the local situation analysis;
• Coordinate communication and discussions as the UN Women focal point and resource person of this joint project with Government partners, UN partner, the donor, sectoral experts, UN Women Regional Office and HQ and other stakeholders.
Finalize the UN Joint Programme (UNJP) on Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) Through Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), in respect to UNDG Guidance on Joint Programmes:
• Undertake a desk review of relevant regional and cross-country best practices and lessons learned and apply the findings to local Tanzania context;
• As the coordinating consultant, work closely with experts to undertake further analysis as required.
• Coordinate the organization of meetings with partner UN agencies to enhance synergy and harmonization, building on agency’s comparative advantages;
• Hold consultation meetings with stakeholders, including government institutions and CSOs to solicit views and recommendations on strengthening the UNJP on WEE through CSA;
• Ensure that the proposal has a strong conceptual analysis, justification, outcomes, outputs, activities, M&E Framework, theory of change, and detailed budget for the duration of the program period. The document should follow the UNDG Joint Programming format;
• As requested, prepare and present the program to key partners including holding of at least one donor round meeting for resource mobilization;
• Act as the focal point of the program, in coordinating communication with Government partners, UN partners, development partners, sectoral experts, and other stakeholders regarding the UNJP;
• Coordinate a donor roundtable on UNJP on WEE Through CSA and prepare project briefs, power point presentations and undertake follow up actions to respond to donor queries.
Perform any other tasks and duties as requested by senior management.
Develop and present a work plan within the first 2 days of the assignment.
A final program document, Joint Program on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women and Adolescent Girls, approved by senior management by end of June 2019.
A final UNJP proposal on WEE Through CSA approved by senior management by the end of July 2019.
Facilitation of at least 2 working sessions with partner UN participating agencies and national stakeholders.
Facilitation of a donor round table on UNJP on WEE Through CSA.
Written inputs and contribution to WEE portfolio management on a regular basis.
The consultant is expected to commence the assignment starting on 25 February 2019 for a period of 7 months. The consultant is expected to submit a work plan within two days of commencing the assignment.
The consultant is expected to submit several draft versions of the two proposals, as requested by senior management. S/he will be required to undertake a desk review of all relevant documents and to hold several working sessions with UN participating agencies, government stakeholders, project beneficiaries and the donor in line with agreed work plan, including: attending several meetings with the donor and UN agencies; prepare PowerPoint Presentations and project briefs as required; submit several updated versions of the program documents as requested.
Final updated on UNJP on Realizing Gender Equality through Empowering Women and Adolescent Girls in Tanzania should be submitted before 17th of June 2019 to UN Women Country Office.
Final UNJP on Women’s Economic Empowerment Through Climate Smart-Agriculture should be submitted before 17th of July 2019 to UN Women Country Office.
Fees and terms of payments: Payment will be made monthly, upon submission of monthly progress report on deliverables.
• The key result is strengthened programming on women’s economic empowerment to support effective and strategic delivery on the Country Strategic Plan. The expected deliverables are two Joint Program Documents: Realizing Gender Equality through Empowering Women and Adolescent Girls in Tanzania; and Women’s Economic Empowerment Through Climate Smart-Agriculture. The finalization of the two program documents will follow an internal quality assurance process and provision of feedback/inputs by the UN Women Tanzania Country Office and UN Women ESARO, as well as relevant UN coordination structures in Tanzania.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
• Timely and quality Programme design and inputs
• Timely and quality of Programme document with clear budget and results framework
• Relations with partners and stakeholders
• Well written project document
• Regular communication with key partners and staff
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
• Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
• Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
• Strong Programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
• Strong knowledge of Results Based Management;
• Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
• Strong understanding and experience in resource mobilization, particular with KOICA priority areas for GEWE;
• Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising and develop strategies;
• Strong technical knowledge and expertise on gender equality and women’s rights;
• Strong understanding and experiences on UN Women’s programming areas of focus on WEE and gender in agriculture is an asset;
• Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client’s perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
• Outstanding writing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
• Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies.
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Development, Economics, Gender Studies, Political Sciences, Social Science, Public Administration, Business Administration or related field.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs/project with focus on GEWE.
• Successful experience in UN proposal writing to donors on GEWE.
• Strong experience with UN, donors, and INGOs in strategic planning for policy and Programme interventions on GEWE.
• Knowledge and previous professional exposure to UN Women Programme interventions in East Africa and Tanzania in particular, is an asset.
• Knowledge and previous professional exposure to KOICA donor requirements and resource mobilization on GEWE, is an advantage.
• Excellent writing and presentation skills.
• Written and oral proficiency in English is required.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE