Controls, Compliance & Ethics Business Partner – Serengeti Breweries Ltd
Reports To: SBL Legal and Controls, Compliance and Ethics Director
Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the second largest listed company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company with a market share of around 20%.
SBL was incorporated in 1988 as Associated Breweries Limited and commenced commercial operations in 1996 with one brewery in Dar es Salaam. The company changed its name to Serengeti Breweries Limited in 2002. 51% of the company was acquired by EABL in October 2010 and has three breweries located in Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Moshi. SBL flagship brand is Serengeti Premium Lager. Other brands in the portfolio include Serengeti Lite, Tusker Lager, Guinness, Kibo Gold, Pilsner and Senator. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo international renowned spirits brands such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Gordon’s, Bailey’s and Captain Morgan.
Purpose of Role
CCE Business Partner will own Primary accountability for Controls, Compliance and Ethics responsible for supporting and driving the full range of CCE activities across the business.
Globally Diageo is operating in an increasingly challenging external environment with higher importance placed on robust controls and compliance programs particularly through American SEC regulations and UK anti-bribery laws. Within that global context, SBL is operating in a high-risk market for fraud and corruption
SBL now operates on the standard Diageo operating model using the SAP ERP with transaction processing outsourced to shared business centres. Nevertheless, many controls and compliance processes are still being embedded and further work is required to ensure that all employees understand, connect and conform to Diageo’s expectations for controls and compliance. The CCE (Controls, Compliance & Ethics) team therefore needs to support a transformative change in culture whilst ensuring that a robust baseline of controls is maintained to protect the business
The incumbent needs to have strong leadership skills to drive the controls and compliance agenda in business as the role involves significant engagement and influencing of senior stakeholders with as well as supporting and coaching of colleagues in other functions.He/She must be able to contribute creatively and strategically in identifying opportunities to improve the controls environment and compliance culture and act as a catalyst for change, including leading on specific projects or segments of the CCE programme.
- Strategic leadership
- Acting as a champion for the controls agenda in business, providing specialist advice and continuously seeking opportunities to strengthen controls and our compliance culture.
- Quality assurance of functional controls frameworks, controls days and oversight of the CARM process in their business are.
- Ensuring that actions are agreed and follow-up though in relation to gaps identified through the controls days, CARM and audit processes
- Cross-cutting activities such as CoBC (Code of Business Conduct) inductions, Pathway of Pride, Risk Management and Breach management.
- Actively contributing to the development and evolution of the SBL CCE strategy and leading its implementation in their area. This includes identifying and pursuing opportunities to engage with individuals at all levels to understand how controls and compliance are perceived on the ground and the ethical challenges facing our teams and proposing opportunities to influence and support them in delivering results in a manner consistent with our legal, regulatory and ethical expectations.
- Ensuring that each function in demand and supply has made a controls commitment through a functional controls framework which: sets out the controls for which the function is responsible, covers both the risks identified in the CARM framework and locally identified risk; and accurately reflects how the controls are operated in SBL
- Business Partnership
- Supporting their Heads of Department to have in place a continuous assurance process (e.g. monthly control days) to ensure that the controls in their area are functioning effectively, including coaching and mentoring functional CCE Champions to assist in the process.
- Leading reviews of specific high risk, high impact areas
- Aligning with heads of department on the control and compliance gaps to be addressed and ensuring that their teams are held accountable for delivering agreed actions.
- Acting as a specialist adviser to the business across all areas of controls and compliance; identifying and supporting new and innovative ways to continually strengthen the controls and compliance environment in SBL.
- Facilitation and compliance training
- Facilitating the CARM certification process by acting as a liaison point between the testing team and the business and ensuring that CARM reporting is completed to the Diageo standard within the set timelines.
- Drive sufficient and appropriate focus on compliance in their business area by ensuring that line managers are aware of their CCE responsibilities and that they are given appropriate weight in team meetings and performance discussions. c) Agreeing and tracking the delivery of key compliance trainings (adherence to the annual compliance training calendar) and ensuring appropriate consideration is given to compliance requirements for third parties through the Know Your Business Partner (KYBP) process
Qualifications And Experience Required
- Professional qualification in audit or accounting
- 7+ years’ experience in risk based internal auditing or compliance
- Strong knowledge of compliance and Corporate Governance policies/framework
- Interpersonal relationship building skills and ability to engage at an executive level
- PC literate; particularly MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Outlook
- Ability to prioritize when faced with conflicting demands
- Proven ability to manage projects and facilitate business change
- Experience in supply chain/manufacturing environment will be an advantage
Primary Location: Dar es Salaam