The Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Rwanda and the United Republic of Tanzania have received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Power Project (RRFP). The Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Rwanda and the United Republic of Tanzania, through a Shareholders Agreement and the Implementation Agreement, jointly seek to develop the 80MW Regional Rusumo Hydroelectric Power Plant (‘the Project”) through a Special Purpose Vehicle Company, the Rusumo Power Company Limited (RPCL). The RPCL has been established by the three governments to develop, construct, finance, insure, own, operate and maintain the Hydropower plant/Generation Facility.
The Rusumo Power Company Limited (RPCL) intends to apply part of the proceeds of the credit to recruit the following key staff positions within the company and now invite qualified individuals to apply for the following positions:
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CORPORATE SECRETARY/LEGAL COUNSEL POSITION
STATUS OF THE RUSUMO FALLS HYDROELECTRIC PROJECT (RPCL)
The project is in the implementation phase with two contractors on board namely joint venture of CGCOC Group and Jiangxi Water and Hydropower Construction from China for Civil works (Contract Package 1(CP-‐1) and Consortium of RUSUMO Falls ANDRITZ Hydro GmbH & ANDRITZ Pvt Ltd from Germany and India respectively for Electromechanical Works Contract Package 2 (CP-‐2.).
The project is being implemented through a public financed, public owned and privately managed mechanism. A Special Purpose Vehicle namely RUSUMO POWER COMPANY LIMITED (RPCL) has been established by the three Governments to oversee the implementation and operation of the project. Although its shareholders are the three Governments, RPCL will operate as private company. NELSAP is implementing the project on behalf of RPCL.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The Regional RUSUMO Falls Hydroelectric Project is located at RUSUMO Falls on the KAGERA River which forms the border between RWANDA and TANZANIA. Power production facilities are located entirely on the right bank of the KAGERA River in TANZANIA, while the Switchyard is located on the left bank of the River KAGERA in RWANDA.
The RUSUMO POWER COMPANY LIMITED (RPCL) has been established as a corporate identity with shareholding by the three Governments and it is the owner of Regional RUSUMO Falls Hydroelectric Project. NELSAP is implementing the agency through a Project Implementation Support Agreement (PISA) with RPCL. Within this document reference is made to both NELSAP and the RPCL roles reflecting the intended transition from NESLSAP to the RPCL toward completion and commissioning of construction works.
OBJECTIVE OF THE RECRUITMENT
The objective of this assignment is to employ a suitably qualified Corporate Secretary/legal counsel Provide general advice and counsel on corporate, legal, business and employment matters;
The appointed candidate will be located at RPCL Rusumo offices
Corporate Secretary/legal counsel
Type of Appointment/ contact:
RPCL will offer a successful candidate an Open ended type of contract
Corporate Secretary/legal Officer will report to Managing Director who will assess and evaluate him/her during performance evaluation
- Provide general advice and counsel on corporate, legal, business and employment matters;
- Preparing and analyzing contracts and other legal documents related to the operation and maintenance of RRFHP and corporate governance of RPCL;
- As a Corporate Secretary, prepare various meeting minutes and resolutions of the Board and maintain the Board Books;
- Legal liaison between Company and various Outside Legal Counsel;
- Periodic reviews and audits of corporate documents, processes and procedures to ensure ongoing legal compliance;
- Maintaining and defending the Company intellectual property portfolio;
- Maintaining in-‐house legal records and databases
- Represent the company’s interest with respect to disputes with any of the three shareholder governments and various ministries. On immigration, import/export issues, leases, tax and labor laws applicable in each country of
EDUCATION AND SKILLS REQUIREMENT
- University Degree in Law and licensed to practice law in one of the three partner countries (Rwanda, Tanzania, and Burundi) and able to receive certification to practice law in other partner countries as required;
- 10+ years of experience as in-‐house counsel; Experience working as a corporate secretary is an advantage;
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills;
- Organized and able to manage time efficiently;
- Ability to work independently with little direction;
- Ability to use independent judgment and critical thinking;
- Must be able to work under extreme pressure and in emergency situations
- Thorough knowledge of English/French, and/or one of the regional languages is an added advantage
Interested applicants from Burundi Rwanda and Tanzania are invited to express interest in the assignment by submitting a cover letter, Copy of Education Certificates and CV including date of birth and nationality by 5 January 2021 before 17:00 hours Rwanda time through the email: [email protected] and [email protected] with a copy to the Managing Director [email protected]
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- The above positions will be based at the Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Power Plant site on the Rwanda-Tanzania Boarder. Staff will be appointed on an Open ended type of contract with a probation period of 6 months.
ELIGIBILITY OF CANDIDATES
- Only qualified candidates who are nationals of the participating and shareholder countries of Republic of Burundi, Republic of Rwanda, and United Republic of Tanzania are eligible to apply. The positions will be filled up based on equity and balance of the shareholder countries.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS.
Interested qualified candidates should electronically submit their application letter, Curriculum Vitae, academic certificates and copies of relevant documents/testimonials, addressed to the Chairperson Board of Directors, Rusumo Power Company Board (RPCL) by 5th January 2021 before 17:00 hours Rwanda time through the email: [email protected] with copy to [email protected] , the email should labeled “candidate name” and title of position applied for.
Detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) can be accessed by clicking on each position above.
Only candidates who meet the requirements and are short-listed for the interview will be contacted