Country Director at Americares Tanzania
TITLE: Country Director
LOCATION: Mwanza, Tanzania
REPORTS TO: HQ Director of Africa and Middle East Programs
LENGTH: 12 months, with the possibility of extension based on performance and funding availability
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Deadline Date: Monday, 15 June 2020
Americares is an emergency response and global health organization committed to saving lives and building healthier futures for people in crisis in the United States and around the world. Since it was established in 1979, Americares has delivered more than $12 billion in humanitarian aid to 164 countries, including the United States. Together with its global network of more than 3,500 hospitals, clinics and community health partners, Americares is improving health outcomes for millions of people in need each year.
The Country Director will collaborate with Americares headquarters to determine and drive the strategic vision for Americares Tanzania. S/he will represent Americares in Tanzania with external constituents and develop and maintain positive relationships with government, multilateral, and NGO partners. The Country Director will provide programmatic direction and oversight for Americares programs in all Tanzania offices, and will oversee finances, operations, and staff management.
The Responsibilities of the Country Director will include, but are not limited to the following:
Program Development, Implementation and Evaluation
· Oversee current portfolio of health programs, including but not limited to maternal and child health, fistula, infection prevention and control, and access to medicines, in Mwanza and Kibondo.
· Lead efforts to strengthen existing programming, including standardizing and systematizing program planning, curriculum development and monitoring and evaluation activities.
· Participate in long-term planning and strategy with HQ staff.
· Work with Americares HQ and Americares Tanzania program team to design, develop, and implement new projects consistent with Americares strategy and Tanzanian Ministry of Health strategic priorities.
· Ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
· Oversee grant disbursement including timely implementation of planned activities and appropriate expenditure of funds.
· Analyze results and outcomes of Americares projects.
· Oversee gift-in-kind medical assistance distribution, including the vetting of local partners, warehouse inventory management, and the import/customs clearance process.
· Ensure compliance with local and international regulatory issues in program development and implementation.
· Overall responsibility for fiscal soundness of country operation and maintenance of effective internal controls.
· Ensure Tanzania office compliance with HQ and local guidelines and requirements, including timely financial reporting to HQ as required.
· Oversee effective cash management, review and approve financial reporting and budgeting.
Field Office Operations/Human Resource Management
· Manage full Tanzania team and directly supervise direct reports.
· Provide leadership, promote professionalism and teamwork, build working relationships, and mentor all Americares Tanzania staff members to work effectively and as representatives of Americares.
· Develop and implement policies for field office operations, ensuring that policies are in line with local regulations and link to organizational policies and procedures.
· Ensure compliance with all labor laws and laws governing operation as a registered NGO in Tanzania.
· In coordination with Americares HQ, identify human resource needs and recruit staff to meet those needs.
· Oversee employee and overall team performance and annual performance review process.
· Report to HQ in a timely and thorough way on all field office staff issues/incidents.
· Prepare regular reports to HQ on country and program activities.
· Coordinate with Americares HQ, including Global Programs, Finance, Development, and Communications as appropriate.
Representation and Coordination
· Serve as official representative of Americares in all government and community affairs.
· Actively engage local stakeholders and pursue collaboration and partnerships with other NGOs, INGOs, relevant Ministries, and private sector.
New Business Development
· In coordination with Americares HQ, identify sources of funding for Americares programs.
· Prepare concept notes, contribute to proposals, meet with potential donors, and lead Americares resource acquisition efforts in Tanzania.
Security, Health and Safety
· Update, implement and adhere to security policies.
· Coordinate security planning, monitoring, and systems with peer organizations, the UN system, and local authorities.
· Conduct discussions to identify and determine approaches to address staff’s stress levels and sense of security.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
· University Degree in Global Health, International Development, International Relations/Affairs, Public Administration or related field; Master’s Degree preferred.
· 10 years’ work experience and significant experience in a Country Director or similar senior role with an INGO.
· Proven track record of effective program design, implementation, and evaluation.
· Proven experience mentoring and building capacity of staff.
· Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
· Ability to produce clear and concise management information reports.
· Proven track record of managing financial and administrative resources of an INGO.
· Ability to work without constant supervision.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interface with high level government, NGO, and INGO officials and authorities.
· High level of integrity and attention to detail.
· A genuine belief in the mission of Americares.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, the applicant should please submit the following items in an expression of interest to Americares:
· Curriculum vitae or resume that clearly spell out qualifications and experience
· Cover letter highlighting interest in the position and relevant skills
· Academic credentials
Please submit a resume and cover letter to https://americares.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/800?c=americares