The role of Country Director is critical for the success of SNV and reports directly to the Managing Director responsible for East Africa. The Country Director Tanzania will spearhead SNV’s strategic and operational engagement in the country.
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and experienced professional who will lead the Tanzania country team in realising the implementation of high-quality programs in SNV’s sectors. SNV offers the successful candidate a challenging position in a rapidly evolving and unpredictable political and economic environment.
The Country Director is responsible for leading and driving the country program. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on securing adequate funding to sustain operations, upscale and strategically strengthen the country program, while ensuring compliance and high-quality delivery. It will require the Country Director to be well informed about national and international development priorities and steer the sectors in response to these priorities. The Country Director will need to provide strong hands-on guidance and management at all levels to enable staff to perform in compliance with national and international laws and policies. The Country Director will forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors, and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. He/she will also be the face of SNV in the country and ensure its positive image and visibility.
The Country Director will lead, coach and support a team of professionals to perform at their best to meet and exceed client, donor and SNV corporate expectations. In addition, she/he will be a key member of SNV’s global senior management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Strategic leadership of the program (including multi-country efforts and potentially managing projects in other countries) within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
• Business development to grow the country program, ensure the financial sustainability of SNV Tanzania and ensure a high-quality project design;
• Oversight and quality assurance of project implementation (including project director roles) ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and compliance with SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
• Strong and supportive leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork at all levels;
• Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policymakers and other relevant stakeholders;
• Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
• In addition, Country Directors foster innovation of SNV products and services: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; ensure collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
• Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
• At least 8 years of relevant experience at strategic level;
• Knowledge and understanding of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three core sectors;
• Strong in implementation oversight with proven ability in financial and operational oversight and management;
• Proven track record in project management including familiarity with donor funded project procedures and process;
• Proven ability of mobilising resources from the public and private sector; familiarity with key financiers and actors in SNV’s three core sectors;
• Strong business and people management capabilities with a focus on results and entrepreneurial skills;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
• Ability to relate with and manage relationships with government at federal and local levels;
• Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
• Has experience working in Africa in particular working in economically/politically fragile conditions and dealing with security issues;
• Culturally aware, tactful and open minded;
• Proficiency in both written and spoken English.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time international position with the successful candidate being contracted on a three-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package. The desired start date for this position is 01 August 2019.
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing different people, ideas and perspectives together. We invite especially women to submit their application as we want to increase the number of women in leadership positions.
Key Steps in the Selection Process
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 05 February 2019 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
During the recruitment process, SNV will require your cooperation in completing a Competency Profile when longlisted for this position.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to your face-to-face interviews.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
After your interviews with the Selection Committee, we will advise you of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE