Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under The Direct Supervision Of The World Health Organization Representative And Working Within The EPR Cluster, The UN Volunteer – Country Preparedness Officer Will Undertake The Following Tasks
- Provide technical advice to the country IDSR and partners, in the development and implementation of strategies and programmes related to the epidemiological needs for priority diseases, conditions and events. Under the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) and International Health regulations (2005).
- Conduct real-time analysis of outbreak intelligence data on infectious diseases, with other team members, for epidemic forecasting and detection, guide national and districts on data quality improvement, use of data for monitoring of trends, ALERT and ACTION thresholds (triggers), as well as methodologies for performing Data Quality Audit (DQA) at district and health facility level.
- Synergize surveillance and response data received from multiple sources including Health Information Systems, vertical reporting programmes, community Based Surveillance and IDSR. Improve on efficiency of data collection, correlation, analysis, interpretation and timely action.
- Provide technical support for the establishment and functionality of Rapid Response Teams (RRTs) and Public Health Management Committee (PHEMC) for potential hazards like Infectious diseases, Zoonotic events, Food safety events and chemical events at the district level as per the national guidance and standards.
- In collaboration with the MOH Directorates of Disease Prevention and Control (DPC) and Primary Health care, strengthen the implementation of Community Based Surveillance (CBS) for priority diseases, conditions and events including Points of entry/cross border surveillance, where applicable.
- Provide technical guidance for the establishment, implementation and maintenance of the electronic IDSR (e-IDSR) as well as related descriptive and analytical studies.
- Support the MOHS in the production of information products and reports including weekly newsletters, quarterly bulletins, annual reports, IHR reports, outbreak situation reports, etc.
- Contribute to capacity building of the surveillance workforce at national and district levels to enhance IDSR/IHR implementation
- Timely reporting to WHO on a variety of epidemiologic data needs on daily/weekly/ monthly basis as required.
- In cooperation with MOH IDSR Programme, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the planned surveillance activities, as well as alert and response capacities for event detection, verification and response in compliance with IHR 2005.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent Education – Additional Comments:
Advanced university degree (Masters level or above) in a health field or Medical degree
Specialized training in epidemiology. Specialized training in emergency / humanitarianresponse. Post graduate degree in public health or public health relatd discipline from an accredited / recognised institute
Required experience: 36 Months Experience remark:
At least 3 years of international and national professional experience in planning, developing and implementing health security, emergency, surveillance, disease control, and/or public health programmes. Relevant experience with the inter-agency mechanisms used to coordinate international preparedness for and response to health emergencies, including those most relevant to coordination of health policy and action in health emergencies. Relevant experience in the implementation of International Health Regulations (2005).
Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies; experience working in relevant non-governmental or humanitarian organizations. Experience in developing countries.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Public health Area of expertise details:
Driving license: No Competencies values:
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Leadership, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in Teams
- Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup . Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
- Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile . Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 25-03-2020