Position Title: Customs Expeditor (All Interested Candidates)
Dar es Salaam-2021-047
Embassy Dar Es Salaam
12/01/2021 – 12/15/2021
This vacancy is limited to a certain number of applicants and may close before the close date listed here if that limit is reached.
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT+3
Series/Grade: LE – 0905 6
Salary: Not Specified
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-6
Duty Location(s): 1 Vacancy in
Dar Es Salaam, TZ
For More Info: HR Section
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
• Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Customs Expeditor in the General Services Section.
Supervisory Position: No
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
Travel Required: Occasional Travel
Customs/Duty Exemption Processing (70%)
- Process customs and duty exemption documents on incoming and outgoing shipments with appropriate host government officials and airport/port authorities. Shipments include both USG supplies and USG personnel’s personal effects at both airports and seaports.
- Process duty exemption certificates with the Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) for duty-free fuel purchase.
- Handles petty cash advances for payment of customs fees up to $500 per transaction.
Passenger/Pet Expediting (20%)
- Acts as expediter for all arriving and departing U.S. citizen personnel at airport. Facilitates clearance of passengers, pets, and baggage through relevant airport authorities. Coordinates VIP lounge access. Expedites live animals by obtaining import or export permit from the Ministry of Water and Livestock and assisting with animal check-in.
Special Flight Support (10%)
- Facilitates Customs clearance of special shipments such as diplomatic pouch, weapons, etc. Processes customs and immigration clearance for USG charter flight passengers. Arranges ground handling services for charter flights and assists in the reconciliation/payment of invoices.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Minimum three years experience working for or with customs and immigration officials in Dar es Salaam is required.
Completion of Secondary (Form-IV) school and diploma in clearing and forwarding field is required.
LANGUAGE: Good working knowledge in English and Fluent in Kiswahili is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Local driver’s license Class B & D is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
The U.S. Mission in Tanzania offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
AEFM / USEFM
FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Completion of Secondary School or Local Mandatory Schooling and received high school diploma
- Diploma in clearing and forwarding field is required
- Proof of Citizenship
- Copy of work permit if not a TZ national
- Local Driving License Class B & D is required
- Other Documents (if any)
- Other Documents 2 (if any)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
The deadline for submitting the application is 15 December 2021.