Position: Data Manager (1 post)
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Work station: Ifakara
Apply by: February 25, 2021
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Data Manager to fill a vacant position in the Dynamic project. The Data Manager will support and maintain the data systems of the project in close collaboration with the IT Coordinator/Software Developer. The Manager will support the project team through developing data management and data cleaning plans, reviewing and analyzing data discrepancies, managing and resolving data quality issues together with the field-based staff, and reporting routinely to the study team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Set up the various data systems associated with the project.
- Contribute to the design and programming of the data collection tools.
- Develop the data management and analysis plan together with the research team.
- Set up project monitoring dashboards to monitor data collected from the field.
- Conduct regular data quality checks and data cleaning.
- Liaise with the field-based team to resolve any data discrepancies.
- Develop technical manuals, SOPs and training materials for the data-related components of the project.
- Travel to field sites to participate in field data collection.
- Together with the IT coordinator, monitor adherence to standards related to data security, including user access and database documentation, performing backup and recovery of program databases.
- Together with the IT coordinator, trouble shoot technical problems and escalate issues that could potentially impact timelines and deliverables of the project.
- Maintain collaborations with local institutions to ensure that the tools of the Dynamic project integrate with the eHealth vision of Tanzania (e.g., interoperability and data exchange with the national HMIS and/or Electronic Medical Records system).
- Participate in data analysis and report writing.
- Assist in the dissemination of research findings through the active participation in dissemination events.
- Regularly report on the progress of assigned tasks to the project team.
- Perform any other job-related duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in one of the following quantitative fields: Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Project Management, Data Science, or Mathematics.
- A master’s level qualification is preferred.
- Three-year experience in data systems, programming, and analytic experience (experience in the health sector with health information systems would be an asset).
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge and interest in IT and computer systems.
- Knowledge of SQL language (querying and manipulating), good understanding of relational databases.
- Experience in one or more programming languages such as R, STATA or Python. Experience with data visualization tools an asset
- Experience in data management, including quality-checking, cleaning, anonymizing, dispatching, backing up.
- Proactive attitude, including willingness to learn new technologies and skills quickly.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Good organization skills and attention to detail.
- Team working spirit as well as the ability to work independently.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Willingness to sometimes travel to implementation areas, which could be remote locations.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for this application is 1700hrs, February 25, 2021. All e-mail application headline should include: DATA MANAGER – DYNAMIC
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 February, 2021