The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mwanza Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mwanza The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance. The National Institute for Medical Research is looking for the qualified, experienced and well-motivated personnel to fill vacant position to work with the PARENT APP Project. Duty station will be at NIMR Mwanza Centre.
PARENT APP PROJECT:
NIMR is collaborating with the University of Oxford, UK and University of Cape Town, South Africa to conduct a two-arm cluster randomised controlled trial to test the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of ParentApp (an evidence-based parenting app for parents and caregivers of adolescents aged 10-18 years) on improving parenting, reducing violence and assessing processes and outcomes which address parenting skills that promote holistic adolescent development, specifically related to executive function and social integration using a learning through play approach. The study is being conducted in two regions – Mwanza and Shinyanga in Tanzania.
JOB POSITION: DATA OFFICER (1 POST)
REPORTING: The post holder will be reporting to the Principal Investigator (PI)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To develop and refine guidelines on good research data practices, ensuring that data management is integrated with existing data collection procedures for the study;
- To maintain the hardware and software related to the study;
- To develop data management and data cleaning plans;
- To set up data monitoring procedures, reviewing and analyzing data discrepancies, managing and resolving data quality issues together with the field-based staff and other staff, and writing routine reports to the study team;
- To ensure that the data collected is of high quality and is properly stored;
- To perform complex technical work associated with the installation; configuration, administration and maintenance of server systems as well as related software and applications;
- To manage and service the server and to provide direct technical leadership in the server and security disciplines; and
- To perform any other related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Holder of a Bachelor Degree in Computer Science/Information Technology/ or Health Informatics is required;
- Strong management, inter-personal and communication skills;
- Excellent knowledge of server, storage and security technology and industry standard best practices;
- Ability to recognize and set priorities and to use initiative and independent decision-making skills;
- Ability to organize, direct, motivate and evaluate services team, mentor others, and foster a team environment;
- At least 3 years of work experience in data systems, programming in the health sector with health information systems.
TERMS OF SERVICE: One (1) year contract which may be renewed on annually based on performance and mutual agreement.
DUTY STATION: The successful candidate will be based at NIMR Mwanza Centre.
COMPENSATION: A competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidate as per project budget.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Application letters should be written in English;
- Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with their reliable contacts;
- Applicants must attach their detailed relevant certified copies of academic certificates including form four and six certificates;
- Application letters should be attached with detailed curriculum vitae;
All applications should be addressed to:
National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Mwanza Centre,
Mwanza. Or through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting the application is 22 February 2023.