lntraHealth International is a US based international NGO with offices in over 30 African countries, including Tanzania. IntraHealth is seeking Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director for an upcoming five-year USAID contract: Comprehensive Client-Centered Health Program – HIV and Tuberculosis Activity (C3HP HIV/TB). The overall goal of the project is to improve the household nutrition and health outcomes of Tanzanians with the specific objective of increasing use of quality HIV/TB services, particularly by youth and women.
The DCOP/TD will be responsible for the overall technical management of the project and is specifically responsible for project initiatives relating to strengthening the capacity for the design, management and delivery of a quality, comprehensive HIV/TB prevention, care and treatment (including FP integration). S/he will lead the project’s technical team in ensuring technical implementation is contextual, responsive, and designed to deliver impact, that interventions are evidence-based and that the project meets its stated goals, targets and reporting requirements. Reporting directly to the Chief of Party (COP), s/he will support the COP in providing technical program leadership in the development, management and support of a cohesive project work plan and activities. In the absence of the COP the DCOP/TD will assume overall leadership and management responsibility for the project. The position will be based in Dar es Salaam, with frequent travel to program sites in the field.
This position is contingent upon award and approval by USAID. Qualified Tanzanian nationals are encouraged to apply.
- Lead development and implementation of a robust annual workplan which leads the project towards meeting all targets and successful completion of contractual obligations.
- Oversee the overall technical management of the program, including day-to-day activities and oversight of sub-recipient technical activities.
- Supervise the technical team of advisors and consultants to deliver high quality results.
- Oversee the work of the M&E team to ensure appropriate measurement of project impact and high-quality statutory reporting along with the use of data for improved clinical services.
- Initiate and facilitate regular technical meetings to review and analyze data, review program implementation approaches, and identify measures to overcome implementation bottlenecks and enhance quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Ensure daily operations of implementation activities are on schedule and that reports, new plans, and budgets are prepared with sufficient lead time to get the necessary approvals.
- Work with the COP to provide technical support in all aspects of the project and carry out any duties that may be assigned by the COP.
- Assist the COP with all aspects of project operations including, technical oversight, human resources, recruiting and training, and maintaining and adapting an organizational chart with distinct roles and responsibilities.
- Support COP in compiling and disseminating high-quality periodic reporting in line with USAID and IntraHealth requirements (quarterly and annual progress reports, quarterly financial reports etc.).
- Participate in national HIV/AIDS technical working groups and other relevant forums.
- Ensure project Collaboration, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) principles are woven throughout the technical component of the project allowing the project to pivot quickly based on data and performance indicators and;
Required qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree or higher in medicine, nursing, public health, or international health;
- At least 10 to 15 years’ technical and management experience specific to HIV/TB prevention, care and treatment programming at national, facility and community levels;
- At least 3 years’ experience as Technical Director/DCOP, or similar position, providing technical leadership to similar projects of at least $15 – 20 million per year value;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, at the national and regional level;
- Demonstrated experience overseeing development of technical scopes of work, activity budgets, managing activity costs, and monitoring program spending against budget in an accurate and timely manner;
- Demonstrated ability to implement data driven activities and to use data to make programmatic decisions and to inform resource allocations;
- Experience with PEPFAR indicators and reporting and experience presenting data to donors, MOH and other stakeholders;
- Previous experience managing and working with local NGOs and CBOs;
- Previous experience working on USG and PEPFAR funded projects preferred;
- Demonstrated diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a complex and changing environment with all levels of stakeholders;
- Demonstrated supervisory experience of multidisciplinary technical, programmatic and operational teams and fostering team work;
- Ability to train, coach, mentor and develop capacity at individual and organizational levels;
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills in English;
- Experience working on programs that build the capacity of local organizations to be ready to receive direct donor funding to implement HIV/AIDS and other health projects.
- Experience living and working in Tanzania is strongly preferred.
- Experience in leading and managing USAID contracts.
Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.