Deputy Chief of Party, Finance, and Operations at Abt Associates- Tanzania Horticulture Activity
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Deputy Chief of Party – Finance and Operations for the upcoming USAID Tanzania Horticulture Activity.
The Deputy Chief of Party – Finance and Operations (DCOP-FO), under the supervision of the Chief of Party, will have primary responsibility for financial and administrative management for the Tanzania Horticulture Activity, supervision and oversight of all financial and administrative support staff, and establishment of the systems and procedures required to ensure compliance with USAID regulations and local law. This position will also oversee contracts, procurement and subcontracting, budgeting, reporting, human resources (HR), and general administrative support. The position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- Provide managerial and operational support to the Chief of Party, by overseeing project finance and accounting, operations, grants management, IT and human resources and ensuring compliance with USAID regulations.
- Advise COP and technical team on financial regulations, best practices, and new ways of streamlining project operations and delivery.
- Oversees the development of administrative and operations management systems and processes required to support activity implementation, ensuring compliance with USAID and Abt policies and regulations.
- Manages the implementation of financial, administrative, and HR policies and procedures that meet activity needs and corporate and client requirements.
- Oversees procurement efforts for the activity including selection and negotiation with vendors, and management of grants and subcontractors on the activity in compliance with USAID and Abt Associates procurement regulations.
- Ensures compliance with USAID and Abt Associates policies, regulations and procedures governing the activity contract.
- Supervises institutional subcontracts and sub-agreements with assistance from the Abt Associates home office support team (Finance and Contract Manager, in particular),
- Track actuals, accruals and commitments against approved budgets to ensure project activities remain on budget. Advise COP and home office of any changes in projected spending
- Ensures that the Tanzania Horticulture Activity budget and audit projections, expenditure, tracking and reporting are in accordance with USAID and Abt requirements, procedures, and practices for compliance and audits.
- Creates and maintains financial reporting and tracking systems, and provides financial performance updates on project activities. Guides the administrative team on annual work planning, and ensure submission of quality operational plans, budgets, and reports.
- Oversees HR management functions including: recruitment, hiring, transition, and termination; benefits administration; performance appraisal; and ongoing performance management.
- Master’s Degree in Public or Business Administration, Finance, or a related field.
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience managing grants or contracts for private sector, universities, international NGOs or other organizations with similar scopes of work.
- Experience and knowledge in fiscally and operationally managing all aspects of at least one large multi-million US dollar contract funded by an international donor required, USAID experience highly preferred
- Supervisory and/or management work experience including: (1) direct supervision of professional and support staff; (2) quality evaluation of staff performance and deliverables; (3) contract management (required); and (4) ability to lead large complex programs and motivate multidisciplinary, multicultural teams
- Experience with USAID and other donor-funded health projects, highly desirable
- Excellent financial management skills and knowledge of latest project management tools and computer applications
- Ability to set priorities and multi-task
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with emphasis on budgeting and financial analysis
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent written and spoken English communications skills
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.