The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) – Technical will provide strategic leadership, management, and technical direction in horticulture market systems strengthening and will support the project team, and counterparts in the implementation of activities. The DCOP will provide managerial and technical support to the Chief of Party (COP), assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, engagement with local counterparts, and strategic communications. He/she will provide strategic leadership and direction so that program components are results-oriented, deliverables are high quality, and reporting is relevant and timely leading to the achievement of program goals. The position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- Provides managerial and operational support to the COP, assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, continuous learning, and strategic communications. This includes working closely with Abt’s home office, COP and project leads to develop work plans and monitor activity timelines.
- Provide substantive involvement regarding development of technical management and oversight for the accomplishment of the objectives of the activity including the supervision of project technical leads.
- Support reporting, update and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff. Responsible for harmonizing the objectives of the activity specifically ensuring effective complementary and efficient implementation.
- Leads and oversees all technical assistance, including those delivered by subcontractors and grantees, across the Horticulture Activity’s priority technical areas.
- Contributes to the development of the Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP)
- Supports a culture of learning and adaptive management by contributing to data analysis and applying key learnings from knowledge generated to adapt program activities as appropriate.
- Together with the COP, serves as a senior manager to ensure activities are in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and activities meet program targets.
- Supervises the technical team composed of market linkage, productivity, technology commercialization, policy and enabling environment, and risk and resilience specialists.
- Works closely and maintain positive relationship with USAID officials, implementing partners, regional organizations and other stakeholders in support of activity goals.
- Provides guidance and training to managers and staff to achieve activity objectives and intermediate results.
- 13-15 years of relevant professional experience with a Masters Degree, or 8-10 years with a Doctorate in a related subject area such as public health, economics, health finance, or something similar
- Demonstrated technical expertise in advancing horticulture market systems strengthening
- At least 3 years of management experience over professional teams
- Proven experience working in leadership roles on international development projects funded by USAID
- Advanced written and oral communications skills. Must be adept at writing and editing quarterly and annual reports for donor, internal, and external program stakeholders
- Strong relationship management skills, with demonstrated experience successfully managing relationships with donors and other internal and external program stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated ability to implement successful performance management systems
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to work with minimum of direction and supervision
- Strong management and planning skills of activity tasks and budgets
- Demonstrated team building and team management leading to high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner
- Excellent writing skills required
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication, and computer skills
- Verbal and written fluency in English is required
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.