Position Title: DEPUTY MINE MANAGER
CONTEXT AND PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The purpose of the role is to optimize the mine plan, and put in place equipment, people and operating systems to deliver sustainable and reliable production at world standard productivity levels and costs.
The Deputy Mining Manager in collaboration with the Mining
Manager have to assess the feasibility, safety and productivity of potential mine locations and plan, manage and optimise the extraction of surface and underground deposits; direct, control and develop the operation of Shanta Mining Co. Ltd in accor¬dance with the required legislative framework and appropriate industry practices.
ACCOUNTABILITIES & AUTHORITIES OF THE ROLE
- Deputy Mining Manager has the following accountabilities and authorities:
- To assist Mine Manager in Mining production strategy inputs to Technical Services around development of the Long Term, Mid Term and Short-Term planning process.
- Manage and control OPEX and CAPEX in accordance with approved plans.
- Deliver ROM tonnes and grades as in accordance with the annual plan and budget and deliver waste stripping as per budget.
- To assist Mine Manager to direct the implementation of policies and procedures to ensure adherence to mining standards, organisational standards and legislative standards.
- The effective management and provision of resources to achieve effective mine operations work systems within the context of the business strategy to improve its own cost performance.
- Integrating all mining production functions required to develop, monitor, progress, resource and executes the Mine Plan, leading to improvements in performance of safety, productivity and costs expected gains in safety.
- Designing and implementing operating processes, standards, procedures, cross-functional efficiencies and internal teams to deliver in accordance with the Business Plan (considering owner and contract activities).
- Defining “good mining practice”, and providing a framework and plan to sustainably and continuously improve performance.
- Optimising ore mining methods to balance productivity and quality by working collaterally with the Chief Mine Geologist to determine balance of factors required for optimal results.
- In conjunction with Chief Mine Geologist, to assist mine manager to develop mining methods which optimize resource recovery and mining dilution, commensurate with practical mining constraints and productivity targets.
- In conjunction with collateral team members, define cross-functional work requirements to improve efficiencies, and communications between departments enhancing effective delivery of outputs to standards required. With Mine Geology, Technical Services, and Process Plant, develop and implement procedures for the operation, sorting, stockpiling and management of ore.
- In conjunction with Processing and Mine Geology, optimization of ore mining methods (drill and blast) to optimize mill throughput.
- Planning and implementing infrastructure to support the mining operation; Implement the management framework (notably leadership practices).
- Ensure that an appropriate team structure is in place to deliver optimal performance in the mine.
- Develop and implement a talent pool development programme in the mining production unit that will achieve the succession and localization strategies which will meet business requirements in the current and future organization. Measurable results should be produced as specified in the succession and localization strategic plans
- Understanding and managing risks and opportunities over the business cycle.
- Ensure adherence to policies, standards, and procedures in all areas of operations thus mining, organizational and legislative standards.
- Managing the mining fleet, optimising the fleet selection collaterally with the Engineering Manager per the mining schedule.
- Together with the Engineering Manager develop maintenance strategies that will optimize achievement of the required equipment availability and utilization in achieving the mining schedule.
REQUIRED SKILLED KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering.
- A post graduate qualification in management is desirable.
- A proven manager with a strong track record including a minimum of 15 years’ experience in the mining industry.
- Strong experience in an open pit metal mining environment, with some exposure also to underground mining.
- Committed to the highest safety and environmental standards.
- Good track record in managing contractor relationships, and other key external relationships.
Must have relevant knowledge of:
- Computer literate (MS Project, Datamine, project software).
- Project execution using knowledge of mining and mine planning software
- Management, mine planning and analysis, financial management and senior project management
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are invited to submit their Resumes and certificates (indicating the Position Title in the subject) to:
HR Director, Shanta Mining Company Limited
P.O. Box 79408,
Dar es Salaam
Or via Email to: Recruitment@shantamining.co.tz
The deadline for submitting the application is 06 February, 2021