Position: Director – Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Develops Pathfinder’s organizational strategy and framework for monitoring and evaluation, as well as related policies, guidelines and standard procedures. Leads the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning department to develop and implement a plan of work to provide technical leadership to Pathfinder’s MEL team. Supports the use data for making decisions and action. Liaises with MOHCDGEC, PORALG and other partners on Pathfinder’s MEL activities, including research.
Reports to: Country Director
Supervises: MEL Managers
Classification: Regular Full-time
Duty station: Dar Es Salaam, with frequent travels upcountry
Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the center of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, ensuring countries with sustainable population and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder works in collaboration with MOHCDGEC to provide women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment.
Key Job Functions
- MEL Framework, Planning and Implementation: Oversees the development and implementation of Pathfinder’s MEL strategy and related policies, guidelines and standard procedures for monitoring, evaluation and learning projects. Leads the department to develop effective MEL plans, design and implement MEL systems, provide quality assurance for MEL activities and data, and contribute MEL plans for project proposals (including development of illustrative indicators, targets, and baseline information).
- MEL Training and Tools: Oversees the development and implementation of MEL training and other MEL resources and tools for Pathfinder and partner staff, as appropriate
- Impact Studies: Directs or oversees the development of evaluations to assess the progress, effectiveness and impact of Pathfinder activities and oversees internal project evaluations. Identifies programmatic success, challenges and lessons learned and ensures appropriate flow of information to the organization’s leadership.
- Database Management and Analysis: Directs the development and management of project- and organization-wide indicators and databases, especially DHIS2 mobile – app based database.
- Brand Ambassador: Represents Pathfinder International in the government and professional circles through attendance and presentations at meetings and conferences.
- Reports: In collaboration with Directors, writes project status reports. Writes and prepares conference presentations and publications.
- Leadership and Management: Recruits, hires, develops and manages a small to medium-sized team of staff in the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning department.
- Budget Management: Prepares and oversees the development and management of MEL activity budgets for inclusion in proposals and work plans
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
Master’s degree (or equivalent) in demography, epidemiology, statistics, social sciences or a related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies.
7 years of progressively responsible experience in MEL health/development and quality assurance.
5 years’ management and supervision experience
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
Country Specific Public Health System: Deep knowledge of the country’s public health systems.
Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Deep knowledge of FP and SRHR principles, practices and services of programs, including program strategies and indicators, and the latest professional developments in SRHR, including special challenges faced in Tanzania and beyond
Thought Leadership: Proven ability to link M&E, research, knowledge management, learning, documentation and information systems in providing country wide strategic direction for MEL.
Quality Assurance: Deep knowledge of quality improvement, assurance and audit principles and practices in SRHR
Proposal Development: Mastery of skills in proposal development from concept to full proposal, resource mobilization
Research Methods: Mastery of knowledge and ability to apply quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Data Collection Methods: Mastery of knowledge in data integrity and collection methods.
M-Health: Familiarity of M-Health and Digital health and experience of using mobile applications for data management and visibility
Program and Project Planning and Management: Deep skills in project management and planning to fulfill performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
Change Leadership: Ability to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility in managing change across a broad group of stakeholders in an inclusive manner.
Presentation Skills: Proven ability to make presentations on results to small and large groups.
Community Relations: Mastery of skills in facilitating working relationships with key constituents, including government and partners.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies
Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
Languages: Proven writing and speaking skills using English
Communication and Influencing Skills: Proven ability to influence others, including governments, donor agencies and local partners, through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills.
Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to work with people from different cultures, ability to pay attention to details, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related matters.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested applicants are requested to submit their CV, including contact details for 3 references before the close of business on January 31,2020. Applications should be addressed to the Director for Human Resources and Administration, Pathfinder International, PO Box 77991, Dar es Salaam or sent via e-mail to Tanzaniaemail@example.com stating the position being applied for in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.