North Mara Gold Mine Limited is seeking to recruit a Driller to join and grow their team. You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams. You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
About North Mara
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometers east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometers south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabirama (open pit).
- Accurately drill a series of Blast Holes to a design pattern using a Sandvik DI650i DTH drill rig.
- Read and accurately follow mine instruction plans with skill and precision ensuring holes are drilled to design line, gradient and profile.
- Communicate with surveyors, geologists and engineers to optimize drill patterns and meters.
- Set up and troubleshoot on Blast Hole Drill rigs, specifically on the Sandvik DI650i DTH rigs.
- Comply with relevant Mines Safety and Inspection Act and Regulations
- Must carry out standard work place inspection practices and procedures and prepare the areas for drilling, charging or scraping in accordance with mine safety procedures.
- Compliance with Standards using relevant information and individual judgment to evaluate and determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, and Barrick standards and procedures
- Participation in all applicable safety, prestart and shift team meetings
- Compliance to all applicable mine safe work procedures / safe operating procedures;
- Training, Coaching and development: Identifying the educational or training needs of others and suggest to the supervisor. Coaching and helping team members to improve their knowledge/ skills
- Ensure tramming and set up times for the drill rig is optimal.
- Ensure that Delays due to RDT change out are minimized.
- Efficient and correct application of the drill rig to maximize productivity
- To be pro-active in all aspects of operational safety and encourage teamwork across departments and sections
- Ensure efficient utilization of resources; Drill machines, drill bits, hammers, Water truck etc. and ensure NO abuse.
- Report breakdowns, equipment damages, safety near misses, incidents and accidents according to the laid out procedures including completing the Shift report at the end of each shift.
- Participate and support Succession Planning within the Mining Team to ensure progressive development of
- Tanzanian employees to assume positions of increasing accountability.
- To be pro-active in all aspects of operational safety, efficient utilization of the resources, Continuous Improvement ideas and Projects; and encourage teamwork across the departments
- Deputies for Drilling Supervisor as required
- Any other duties that may be assigned to fulfil the overall business objective
- Closely monitoring the progress of trainees through training reports and discussions with department managers and taking appropriate action to ensure that participants achieve the required standard of competency in a safe and cost efficient manner
- Any other duties deemed appropriate by the Drill Supervisor
- Secondary School Certificate / Vocational Training/ Apprenticeship in a related field / college program in heavy equipment operation
- Hold a valid driver’s license
- Heavy Mobile equipment operation skills.
- Mines Health & Safety Act Awareness
- Minimum of one year recent experience in RC or large diameter DTH drilling.
- DTH and RC Drilling operations
- Bits and other RDT selection and performance
- Equipment parts and components identification
- Pass Aptitude test and Dover test
- Consistent demonstration of Barrick Core Values
- Strong conceptual thinking ability
Experience and competencies needed
Previous experience working as a Blast Hole Driller DTH
Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the Underground Mining Industry.
Our mission is to be the world’s most valued gold and copper mining business. We are committed to partnering with our host countries and communities to transform their natural resources into tangible benefits and mutual prosperity.
With operating mines and projects in 18 countries, Barrick’s highly diversified workforce is drawn almost entirely from our host nations and equipped with world-class skills. We set the gold standard in sustainability by embedding environmental, social and economic considerations into all of our business decisions.
The company’s shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol GOLD and on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol ABX. Learn more at www.barrick.com or follow us on LinkedIn.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometres east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometres south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabirama (open pit). The process plant has the capacity to process an average of 8,000 tonnes of ore per day.