The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Position (Driver) is therefore required to support the establishment of these activities in the camp. All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
1. Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
2. Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
3. Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
4. Ensure proper filing of documents
5. Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
6. Provide anti-corruption, transparency and cost efficiency focus in all processes
7. Ensure safe and efficient transport of staff and materials/goods
8. Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
9. Transport NRC staff, visitors, documents and goods/materials to designated destinations when officially approved
10. Ensure the safety and security of the passengers, the goods and the vehicle
11. Respect the local traffic regulations and the NRC logistical/vehicle policies at all times
12. Maintain the vehicle in proper operating condition at all times, including keeping the vehicle clean, ensuring enough fuel, checking the technical state etc.
13. Ensure the assigned vehicle has all the necessary documents and equipment
14. Provide logistical support during trainings and workshops
15. Prepare and develop status reports as required by management (i.e. maintain the logbook for all trips, arrange for repairs and servicing)
16. Immediately report accidents, breakdowns and needs of repair and general maintenance/service
17. Promote and share ideas for improvement
18. Perform according to the work and development plan
o Minimum 2 years of experience from working in in humanitarian logistics context
o Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
o Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
o Fluency in English and Kiswahili, both written and verbal
o Valid driver’s license for particular vehicle (i.e bus, truck, motorcycle, light vehicle)
o Experienced with Route planning
o Experienced in basic vehicle maintenance fleet management
o Able to prioritize and plan ahead
o Accurate filing skills
o Knowledge of Kiha
o High-level competency in computer skills (Microsoft Office applications)
- Vocational upper secondary school
• Managing resources to optimize results
• Planning and delivering results
• Empowering and building trust
• Communicating with impact and respect
• Duty station: Kibondo & Nyarugusu, Kasulu District
• Commencement: Mid April, 2018
• Contract duration: 12 months’ contract with possibility of extension subject to funding availability
• Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions in Tanzania. The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for NRC Tanzania.
Interested and qualified candidates can submit their application letter and updated CV in sealed envelopes, addressed to the NRC Area Manager, NRC Kibondo (behind MM Filling Station). Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for application is 11th April, 2018 (any application received after the deadline will not be considered).