EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
EXCITING EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
SENIOR STANDARDS OFFICER
Reports to: Principal Standards Officer
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Main Purpose of the Job:
Ensure accuracy of measurements in the region to promote fair trade practices
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To undertake activities as provided for the functions of the Liaison Office of SQMT Department under section 5 of the EAC SQMT Act, 2006;
- Coordinate the activities of the Technical Sub Committee on Metrology(EAMET) of East African Standards Committee;
- Provide logistical support to the EASC in the design and management of Community projects for the implementation of metrology development programs
- Liaise with Partner States to ensure traceability of measurements in Partner States and the community (measurement inter-comparisons, publicizing calibration capabilities in the community);
- Coordinate the activities of EAMETamong members and with Intra-Africa Metrology System (AFRIMET) and other regional metrology organisations, BIPM, OIML and other regional and International legal and scientific metrology bodies (Key international comparisons, CMC registration, membership of BIPM, OIML, CIPM MRA, accreditation etc);
- Liaise with other Directorates and functions of EAC to implement EAC legislation related to accuracy of measurements (axle load, safe drugs, industrial development etc);
- Coordinate the development, review and maintenance of East African legislations on Metrology.(follow up on metrology on metrology bill, metrology regulations, metrology related standards)
- Identify training needs and areas for capacity building in metrology and conformity assessment and develop plan for their implementation (training, competence building, infrastructure development in terms of equipment and labs)
- Prepare annual budgets and work plans for EAMET functions plus the Department of Internal Trade and the Trade Directorate;
- Follow up on implementation of Council decisions, EAMET programs, projects and prepare progress and annual reports;
- Undertake any other official duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the superiors from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Masters Degree in Physics, Engineering, or related fields.
- Additional knowledge in project planning will be an added advantage.
- Eight (8) years working in Metrology fields of Scientific, Industrial metrology and legal metrology, international comparisons of measurements, knowledge of the workings of AFRIMET, OIML BIPM, with minimum of 3 years at senior level working with a quality Institution or equivalent.
- Experience working with National and International conformity assessment bodies will be mostly preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EAC economic integration process.
- Good oral and written communication skills and ability to influence multi-stakeholder processes;
- Excellent analytical skills particularly in interpreting, using, analyzing and presenting data and evidence.
- Good skills in Project proposal development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrable knowledge of metrology matters for the EAC Partner States.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.