EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
EXCITING EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Uganda and the Republic of South Sudan with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and South Sudan) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC) :
PRINCIPAL ETHICS, REGULATORY AFFAIRS, AND RESEARCH ENVIRONMENTS OFFICER
Department: EAHRC Department of Ethics, Regulatory Affairs, and Research Environment
Current Scale/Grade: P3
Job reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary – Research
Duty Station: Bujumbura, Burundi
This position is responsible for establishing mechanisms for generating, capturing, synthesising, assessing, sharing, disseminating, accessing and utilising knowledge to solve health challenges and support the development aspirations of the Community. The position requires frequent communication and interaction with all stakeholders and partners involved and/or supporting knowledge management within EAC Partner States and internationally such as government policy makers, health managers, health workers, health researchers, health research Institutions, health related professional associations, development partners, other stakeholders and the public in general.
The department will strengthen collaboration and coordination in health research ethics and regulatory affairs in the region. It will coordinate harmonisation of health research ethics and regulatory guidelines, and mutual recognition of ethics and regulatory bodies of the partner states. It will promote, in partnership with ethics and regulatory authorities within the Partner States, conduct of ethical health research. The department will audit research projects under the auspices of the Commission. The department will coordinate the process for standardization of research protocols and proposals, and joint clearance of research protocols and proposals in the region. The department will develop research quality assurance procedures of international standards in health research for the region. The department will develop and implement, in partnership with the national ethics and regulatory authorities, criteria for assessing standards and assuring the quality of health research in the region. It will advise best practice on quality assurance, including internal and external quality assurance
The department will facilitate strengthening, in partnership with relevant organs in the partner states, procedures and policies on Intellectual property rights in the region.
Duties and Responsibilities :
The Principal Health Officer KM will deliver the following duties and responsibilities in a manner that is consistent and cognizant of the EAHRC philosophy:
- Liaise with the management of the EAHRC
- Work under the supervision of the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) to provide technical expertise on Knowledge Management.
- Facilitate the creation of health research databases to strengthen health policy and practice.
- Promote the application of knowledge from research to strengthen regional health policy formulation and practice.
- Facilitate the development of regional health policies and their implementation.
- Facilitate and promote the synthesis, interpretation, and utilization of health research findings.
- Facilitate the exchange and dissemination of health research information through conferences, workshops, publications and other fora.
- Promote community outreach activities in implementation of research findings.
- Establish and maintain a harmonized network of morbidity and mortality registries for all diseases, illnesses and conditions which may occur at community, health facility, district, national, and regional levels within Partner States.
- Establish and maintain health research archives, e-library, registries, databases, etc. that will be utilised by the Community.
- Oversee the proper and effective functioning of the ICT infrastructure, the journal (EAHRJ), the East African Open Science Cloud, the EA health information Web portal, the East African Health and Scientific Conference & International Health Exhibition and Trade Fair and other conferences
- Initiate budget proposals for the KM Department;
- Prepare progress reports and follow up on the implementation of Commission, Sectoral Council on Health and Council decisions by the department;
- Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the Commission.
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) from time to time.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Health Sciences ;
- A post graduate qualification in knowledge and health information system management;
- Relevant working experience of at least ten (10) years in knowledge and health information system management or related fields with five (5) of which must at senior level;
- Must have published at least two (2) articles in international peer-review journals, with at least one (1) article as the first or lead author
Skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and competency in knowledge and health information system management;
- Ability to develop integrated results oriented annual work plans and other organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to accomplish the activities);
- Should have extensive and demonstrable knowledge of health research and the translation of results of health research into health policy and practice;
- Proficiency in computer office applications and automated statistical analytical tools and/or related packages;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Should be fluent in the English language;
- Working knowledge of French and or Kiswahili will be an added advantage;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate others;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.