EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Uganda and Republic of South Sudan with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania , Uganda and South Sudan) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
Department: Finance & Administration
Current Scale/Grade: P1
Job reports to: Senior Administration Officer
Duty Station: Bujumbura, Burundi
The Procurement Officer develops and Implements procurement policies and processes for the EAC. S/He initiates preparation of Annual Procurement Plan, receiving and reviewing requisitions for clarity, adequate specifications and to ensure that bidders are able to respond to the quotation appropriately, receiving and processing purchase requisitions from users, originating tender documents, consolidating and preparing recommendations for tender awards, expediting deliveries and updating and maintaining procurement transactions records.
Duties and Responsibilities :
The Procurement Officer will deliver the following duties and responsibilities in a manner that is consistent and cognizant of the EAHRC philosophy:
- Review procurement policies and past performance of the Community arid make recommendations on the basis of a logical forecast
- Initiate preparation of Annual Procurement Plan.
- Plan for all the supplies needs of the Community and formulate supplies policies and guidelines for the Community.
- Receive, review and process Purchase requisitions from User Departments.
- Maintain the Supplies Manual for the supplies staff of the Community
- Prepare minutes and reports of Tender board meetings.
- Generate procurement reports and correspondences.
- Prepare procurement transactions and provide a liaison link between suppliers and user Departments.
- Compiling Tender documents for the Tender Board Committee and make follow up.
- Advice user departments on procurement guidelines In areas such as drawing specifications and terms of reference right.
- Consolidate and prepare recommendations for award of tenders/quotations.
- Carry out inspections to assess utilization and control of supplies.
- Prepare procurement transactions and provide a liaison link between suppliers and user departments.
- Update and Maintain Community suppliers’ databases and records. – Perform any other duties as assigned by the Management from time to time
Minimum Job Requirements:
Academic qualifications and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Procurement and Supplies Management or equivalent.
- Diploma in Procurement, Purchasing and Supplies or equivalent
- Minimum 05years of relevant practical experience in the field of Procurement for Goods and Services
Skills and competencies
- Proficiency in standard computer applications such as Microsoft Office and specialized applications like SUN system, SAP, or Oracles.
- Good Customer Relations, Negotiation skills, effective Communication and Report writing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English and Kiswahili.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .