To all Heads of Secondary Schools,
The East African Community Secretariat (EAC) has organized the EAC students essay writing competition for the year 2018.
The Essay writing competition is intended to broaden knowledge of the school going population on EAC activities. The competition is open to students from Form I to Form IV who are required to write essays between 1000 – 1500 words. The students are required to begin researching on the topic prior to writing and submitting to their Heads of Schools by 30th July, 2018.
The topic for the year 2018 is;
In English :
“How can Science and Technology be used to improve the lives of the citizens of the East African Community?”
“Ni kwa namna gani Sayansi na Teknolojia inaweza kutumika kuimarisha maisha ya wananchi wa Jumuiya ya Afrika Mashariki?”
“Comment pouvons-nous utiliser la Science et la Technologie pour ameliorer la vie des Peuples de la Communauté Est Africaine?”
The Heads of Schools will then be expected to constitute a marking panel which will choose best essays of the school. The panel should go through the essays (Please do not mark the essays) and choose three essay to be submitted to Permanent Secretary Ministry of Education, Science and Technology by 15th August, 2018.
The following are the guidelines for essay competition:
- The length of the essay should be between 1,000 and 1,500 words,
- The essay can be written in English, French or Kiswahili,
- The essay should be in their own hand writing,
- Students information such as name, sex, class, school address, region, Country and title of the essay should be written on the cover page,
- The essay should be written on white A4 lined/ruled papers (Similar to the draft pads),
- Written only on one side of the paper,
- Students should draw double margin in each paper,
The Head of Schools to certify that the essay is student’s own work. (signature and stamp),Students to show the reference materials they have used in writing the essay.
Moshi J. Kabengwe
ACTING PERMANENT SECRETARY