Education Technical Assistant – Construction
NRC Tanzania is looking for Education Technical Assistant – Construction base at Nyarugusu ,Kigoma
The purpose of the technical assistant position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of the Education project.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Support the Education officer in formulation of project work plans and provide quality and timely reports to the officer on projects progress.
- Participate in needs assesment for rehabilitation and/or construction
- Preparation of constructuon validation plans, Bill of Quantities (BOQ) and implimentation plans as requested from time to time.
- Supervise and monitor construction/rehabilitation of changing rooms for girls where available and rehabilitation of accessible classrooms, playgrounds and girl-friendly latrines
- Participate in developing maintenance plans for rehabilitated infrustructure
- Monitor and ensure proper usage of the construction materials, assets and tools.
- Work with relevant authority to guide proper positioning of the classroom, gender sensitive WASH facilities on the site
- Coordinate with NRC WASH and Shelter teams regularly
- Strengthen coordination with government technical departments, camp management authorities and partners
- Facilitate effective implementation of construction/rehabilitation activities which includes supervision and monitoring of classrooms and gender sensitive WASH facilities construction/or rehabilitation, and ensure tasks are completed correctly and on schedule
- Support the preparation PRs and follows up for timely procurement of materials, tools and services.
- Take part in general assessments, upon request
- Degree/Higher National Diploma in field related to Civil engineering, architecture
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of construction/rehabilitation projects for at least 3 years. Possibly experience in humanitarian assistance.
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Political and cultural awareness
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Understanding of humanitarian standards and principles
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups, PSN etc)Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into construction programming.
- Experience from working as a Construction Assistant or Officer in a humanitarian or development context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, oral and written
- Participate in appropriate professional development of project portfolio
- At all times in and outside work adhere to NRC Code of Conduct
Planning and delivering results
Empowering and building trust
Communicating with impact and respect
Handling insecure environment
We can offer
Duty station: Nyarugusu
Contract period is for 6 months with possibility of extension subject to funding availability
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nyarugusu