REDAVIA, the pioneering solar farm company, is hiring an Electrical Engineer to support growing the company’s solar farm mini-grid portfolio in Tanzania.
REDAVIA manufactures, finances and operates leased solar farms in East and West Africa.
REDAVIA’s mini-grid solution provides off-grid communities with reliable energy to power, not only household loads such as lights, phones and appliances, but also productive loads such as milling, welding and pressing.
REDAVIA’s executive team is composed of seasoned solar electricity professionals and combines hands-on experience in solar farm deployment, emerging market solar finance and B2B sales.
REDAVIA enjoys the strong support of several funding partners, including KawiSafi Ventures, DEG / KfW, ResponsAbility and InfraCo Africa.
REDAVIA has been recognized by several high-profile partner organizations:
● Received the 2016 Frost and Sullivan Company of the Year Award
● Nominated for the Bloomberg New Energy Finance 2015 Energy Pioneer Award
● Nominated for the Energy Efficiency Partnership Africa Project of the Year Award
● Received the 2014 Frost and Sullivan Best Practice Award
● Participant in the Climate Day at the 2014 Davos World Economic Forum
● Selected by the United Nations (UNFCCC) as a 2013 Lighthouse Activity
For more information, visit www.redaviasolar.com.
To support REDAVIA on its steep growth curve, we are recruiting an Electrical Engineer, based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with frequent travels to sites. The target start date is mid-February 2019.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for:
● Design of electrical systems (power generation unit, power distribution and switch cabinets)
● Prepare engineering documentation like Single Line Diagrams (SLD), Cable Schedule, Communication Network Plans and Bill of Material
● Develop project documentation such as flowcharts and Gantt charts
● Technical support in the execution of tenders (finalize technical documentation, summarize requirements, tender evaluation)
● Technical support in questions about IT-based solutions for the field (energy metering, base station and cloud-based operation)
● Mapping of customers and metering infrastructure
Project Development Support:
● Develop project requirements by interfacing with the customer, understanding existing design documentation
● Complete site technical visits to assess local context and technical interfaces
● Assist in the importation process and other related activities of REDAVIA in Tanzania such as customs clearance, license acquisition, etc.
● Develop project budget for non-standard equipment or non-standard sites
Solar Farm Installation:
● Develop front-end and detailed engineering (electrical/controls) for new sites
● Manage installation contractors during site installation
● Commission new site installations
● Perform technical training for installation/commissioning team in technical aspects of the REDAVIA standard systems
● Ensure product and installations comply with defined standards
● Use experience gained from customer support to influence the definition of new products
● Implement safety, environmental and quality standards in REDAVIA solutions/products
● At least 3-5 years of demonstrated experience with electrical engineering of off-grid power generation systems, including diesel generators, solar PV installations, ideally in mini-grid projects
● Advanced knowledge and experience in power network planning with focus on cable design and protection coordination of single phase and three phase systems
● Experience in digital mapping an advantage
● Advanced knowledge in communication systems (LoRa, LTE mobile network) and IT technologies API communication)
● Comfortable working with cloud-based platforms, e.g. Google Suite
● Expert in Excel, Word, PowerPoint or similar IT software
● Basic knowledge in AutoCAD and/or Power Factory or other similar software an advantage
● Track record of successful engineering projects in the Energy Sector
● Safety first: Consistently applies REDAVIA’s Health, Safety, Social Impact and Environmental Impact guidelines
● Team player: Enthusiasm to work in a young and motivated team in a collaborative manner and willingness to extend expert knowledge to apply in new areas
● Communication Skills: Able to directly communicate and interact with various stakeholders of different backgrounds
● Flexibility and Adaptability Competence: Willingly adapting to constantly changing circumstances while maintaining a corporate perspective. Engaging in continuous learning, adjusting the application of knowledge, skills and abilities while addressing new challenges as contextual realities change.
● Output driven: Enjoys delivering engineering outputs to short timelines and high-quality standards consistently
● Degree (Bachelor/Masters) in Electrical Engineering or Power Systems Engineering
● Fluent in English. Swahili a plus.
● Affinity with renewable energy
What we offer:
REDAVIA is revolutionizing the energy supply for emerging and frontier markets, creating unparalleled environmental and development impact at scale. We offer the Electrical Engineer the opportunity to make a difference in a professional, non-hierarchical and friendly work environment: Work that matters in an enjoyable team.
How to apply:
If you are eager to take this opportunity to put a dent in the universe, please send us your resume and a short introductory email (in English) to Teamtanzania@redaviasolar.com. We hope to hear from you!