Estate Agriculture Director
Our client, Kilombero Sugar Company Limited (KSCL), an Illovo Sugar Africa Company, is the largest sugar producer in Tanzania. Illovo is strategically positioning its operations to respond to Africa’s increasing sugar consumption growth, forecast to grow by six million tons by 2020. The company has 830 permanent employees and 2,418 seasonal agricultural workers at peak periods. In line with this strategy, KSCL is looking to recruit a dynamic and competent individualwith extensive experience agriculture production and a track record of maintaining high levels of efficiency in farm operations.
Reporting to the Country Managing Director, the key objective of the Estate Agriculture Directoris to develop and oversee implementation of KSCL agriculture strategy, including ensuring high quality and option cane crop production, cost efficiency and sustainability. In addition, the Estate Agriculture Directorwill be responsible for building a culture of continuous learning, accountability and adherence to safety standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop agriculture production strategy including long-term yield forecasts;
- Develop annual agriculture operations plan for crop establishment, husbandry and removal, which complies with the conservation legislation;
- Ensure adoption of Illovo’s minimum standards and processes for crop production, agronomy, engineering, harvesting and haulage;
- Drive operational excellence across agriculture by making informed trade-offs and driving initiatives that will deliver greatest possible yields at optimal cost and quality levels;
- Develop the business case for key capital projects in agriculture and manage the implementation of such projects;
- Oversee relationships with key stakeholders and third-party suppliers;
- Promote and adhere to Illovo’s procedures, policies and guidelines, including, without limitation, those relating to SHERQ, Competition Law and Anti- Bribery and Corruption (ABC); and
- Develop agriculture production KPIs, track performance and submit periodic reports to KSCL chief executive officer and the Group’s head of agriculture.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture / Agricultural Engineering / Agricultural development;
- 10 years’ experience in sugar cane agriculture, at least 5 years in a senior agricultural operations position responsible for greater than 3,000 ha;
- Proven track record of effectively developing and implementing strategies through managing budgets, people and resources to meet business KPIs;
- Good business acumen and agricultural expertise, with ability to anticipate, interpret and respond to changes impacting on functional area;
- Strong agriculture data analysis skills; and
- A formal business/commercial qualification would be an advantage.