MONITORING , EVALUATION, AND LEARNING (MEL) DIRECTOR
CVPeople Tanzania | Full time
Dar es Salaam , Tanzania | Posted on 02/17/2021
Our client is looking for experienced Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director for the anticipated upcoming USAID/Tanzania Comprehensive Client-Centered Health Program HIV and Tuberculosis Activity (C3HP-HIV/TB). USAID/Tanzania intends to award a contract to support the Government of Tanzania’s (GOT) Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC) and the President’s Office- Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG) at the central level and in target Mainland regions to deliver high-quality integrated HIV and TB prevention care and treatment services that will improve health outcomes, particularly for youth and women. The acquisition will increase the demand for and use of quality integrated HIV and Tuberculosis services in target regions by improving access to quality services in both facilities and the surrounding communities, promoting positive health-seeking behaviors among Tanzania’s populace, and enhancing the overall policy environment for HIV/TB service delivery. This is anticipated to be a five-year activity. This position is contingent upon award.
- The MEL Director will lead the development and implementation of the MEL Plan taking into consideration the contract deliverables and conditions, including capacity building and robust monitoring of all activities.
- S/he will train, supervise, and mentor a team of MEL staff.
- S/he will develop and lead the roll out of activity-specific MEL tools in collaboration with relevant MEL staff, partners, and other activity staff.
- S/he will support any Pact partners in developing data collection plans, activity results frameworks (input, output, outcome and impact), and relevant indicators and targets for result areas.
- S/he will integrate and implement adaptive management and collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) approaches, tools and strategies throughout the activity.
- S/he will work closely with Pact headquarters to design and integrate developmental evaluation activities within the project, and to develop a Developmental Evaluation Plan that will include intervention areas to be monitored and evaluated for real time program improvement throughout the life of the project.
- S/he will lead the development and institutionalize the utilization of centralized project data management and case management systems.
- S/he will design and conduct MEL training for Pact partners on topics that may include MEL practices, adaptive management data quality, data analysis, and managing evaluations.
- S/he will develop high quality quantitative and qualitative methods and participatory methodologies to monitor program quality for performance and results.
- S/he will lead routine analysis of data for learning and adaptation; visualize and summarize data and communicate with senior staff.
- S/he will integrate the use of innovative technologies, data platforms, and GIS mapping for data collection, management, and reporting.
- S/he will collaborate with other staff and Pact partners to develop, review, and finalize monthly, quarterly and annual MEL workplans and budgets.
- S/he will oversee the development of donor reports, ensuring that Pact meets all donor reporting requirements for MEL.
- S/he will liaise with counterparts at international, government, non-government agencies involved in related activities and collaborate in promoting high quality results and complementary efforts.
- S/he will serve as liaison to USAID MEL staff and other USAID implementing partner MEL staff.
- If needed, s/he will coordinate with an external evaluation team contracted by USAID to conduct a performance evaluation.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as: social science (international development, political science), statistics, or economics.
- At least seven years of experience in designing, managing, and implementing results-based MEL activities for large, complex international development programs.
- At least five years of progressive management responsibility
- Experience in Africa, preferably Tanzania.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methods.
- Experience in data analysis and data visualization with Excel, SPSS or other related software.
- Demonstrated experience with data management and case management systems
- Experience with strategic information systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with USAID MEL requirements and CLA tools and approaches.
- Experience developing results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project design.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and managing operational research and evaluations.
- Demonstrated experience in synthesizing and analyzing various data sources for learning and recommendations for programming adaptations.
- Experience training other organizations in MEL topics and methods.
- Effective writing and data visualization and presentation skills.
- Strong oral presentation skills.
- Tanzanian nationals are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with DHIS2 platform and mobile data collection software.
- Understanding of USAID and PEPFAR standard indicators.