Belgian Development Agency
Expert for Entrepreneurship & Inclusive Growth (m/f/x) – Tanzania
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements Belgium’s governmental cooperation. The agency also works for other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad, Enabel offers solutions to address pressing global challenges – Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality – and to promote Global Citizenship. With 2,000 staff, Enabel manages about 170 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
The Country Strategy for Enabel Bilateral Cooperation Program in Tanzania 2023-2027 was approved on 15th July 2022 by the Belgian Minister of Development Cooperation, with a planned duration of 5 years (2023-2027) and an overall budget of 25 million euros.
The general objective of the strategy has been defined as follows: “Young people especially young women, are empowered to thrive in a protective and gender-equal environment, to acquire education and skills, and to pursue decent work opportunities in Kigoma Region”.
The specific objective further specifies: “Girls and young women (14 to 29 years), in targeted districts of Kigoma, are empowered, access multiple conducive learning pathways and enjoy decent and green employment and entrepreneurship”.
For the period 2023-2027, Enabel has developed an integrated approach fully focused on girls and young women through three results areas of the same holistic intervention as defined below:
Result area 1 is focusing on secondary education for vulnerable youth with a special focus on girls.
Result area 2 is dedicated to skills development and entrepreneurship, with the ambition to increase opportunities for decent employment of young people, specifically women, through skills development, entrepreneurship promotion and business development support.
Result area 3 is focusing on supporting a protective and gender-equal environment. It will contribute to tackle the discriminatory social norms and structural barriers that girls and young women face in their family, in their community, in the educative and professional spheres, so that girls and young women benefit from the same chances to continue their education and seize increasing remunerative economic opportunities.
As an Expert Entrepreneurship & Inclusive Growth, you report to the Intervention Coordinator and you contribute to the implementation of the project activities in order to achieve the expected results.
– You contribute to the implementation of the project by taking part in the planning, execution, coordination, and monitoring and evaluation of activities;
– You advise on the basis of your technical expertise, in order to achieve performance in accordance with national and international norms and standards;
– You organise knowledge building and knowledge management in order to create an inclusive, informed climate of trust within the project;
– You contribute to capacity development of partner organisations: Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (TCCIA), Tanzania Women Chamber of Commerce (TWCC) and Small Industries Development Organisation (SIDO);
– You coordinate and ensure quality BDS to the respective small businesses and SMEs;
– You orient and coach relevant internal staff on entrepreneurship and access to finance approaches.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economic Science, Commercial Science, Social Science.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in private sector development. Specifically with the support to micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSME’s);
- At least 2 years of proven experience in business initiatives for women and youth entrepreneurship;
- Proven experience in organizational and institutional strengthening of actors of the ecosystem actors in charge of supporting the creation and development of businesses;
- An international experience (i.e. in the international development sector and outside your country of origin) is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
- Proven expertise in the development of financial and non-financial mechanisms and tools aimed at promoting the creation and development of MSME’s;
- Good knowledge of aspects of international development (context, challenges, application, partners, functioning…);
- Capacity to interact with private sector environment in Tanzania or similar contexts (MSME’s, large companies, Business membership organisations);
- Capacity to coach and mentor enterprises and Business Member Organisations;
- Capacity to integrate decent work principles in formal and non-formal business operation context, green and circular economy, business development in the agricultural sector
- A creative mindset to set-up innovative partnerships (MoU, etc.) to engage the private sector for development results.
- Ability to implement a change process;
- Knowledge management and knowledge building;
- You are result oriented;
- Ability to use new technologies used in the area of expertise;
- You are fluent in spoken and written French or Dutch. Considering the working language of Tanzania and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of English is required and Swahili is a strong asset.
We offer you
- A fascinating and interesting job in an international environment.
- A contract of 54 months. You are based in Kigoma.
- You are employed by Enabel in the function of “Sectors & Thematics Expert”. A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
- In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The various amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this recruitment procedure a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Expert for Entrepreneurship & Inclusive Growth at Enabel
Are you interested?
Apply here on-line with an application letter and your updated CV, at the latest by May 24th 2023.
Only applications that are registered here via our on-line portal will be considered.
Leave a Reply