Specialist for the Development of Food Based Dietary Guidance – Tanzania Mainland
Job Posting: 25/May/2020
Closure Date: 07/Jun/2020, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FRURT
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Tanzania, United Republic of
Duration : 50 Days within Four Months
Post Number : N/A
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), leads international efforts to alleviate hunger, eliminate poverty and achieve food and nutrition security for all. At present, FAO is supporting a number of interventions related to Agriculture (crop, Livestock, Fisheries, Forestry development and Food Security And Nutrition. FAO is seeking for suitably qualified and experienced consultants to support finalization of Food Based Dietary Guidance (FBDG) Tanzania Mainland under the FAO Programme in Tanzania and according to the Country Programming Framework.
The National Consultant: Food Based Dietary Guidance for Tanzania Mainland will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, and the direct supervision and guidance of the Assistant FAO Representative – Programme and technical supervision of the FAO Nutrition Officers from Tanzania country Office and the FAO Sub-regional Office for Southern Africa as well as technical backstopping from the Regional Office for Africa (RAF) and FAO Headquarters.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Tanzania and working closely with the Assistant FAO Representative
(Programmes) will perform the following duties:
- Prepare and facilitate workshop centred to finalize the Food Based Dietary Guideline (FBDG) to review the result of the field testing and completion of the workshop reports;
- In collaboration with country FBDG Technical Working Groups (TWG) and the FAO team, set up the process of pre-testing the food guides, messages and conduct the field testing;
- Work in collaboration with Tanzania Food and Nutrition centre (TFNC) to analyse the results emerging from the fieldwork and prepare a report. Technical officer in FAO will review and provide feedback on the report before the start of stakeholder’s workshop;
- Conduct the desk review of any previous evidence report and other updated information (ensure validity), and draft FBDG guideline;
- Working with the TFNC, FBDG TWG and FAO team to prepare and develop key messages, food guides and food graphics based on the pre-testing results;
- Organise and facilitate a stakeholders workshop to present and discuss the draft guidelines;
- Work on the comments from stakeholders workshop and submit draft FBDG for approval and general population;
- Document good practices, success stories and lessons learned for organizational learning and improvement;
- Undertake other duties as might be assigned by supervisor.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Post Graduate degree in human nutrition, dietetics, social/behavioural sciences or closely related fields;
- Candidates should be Tanzanian;
- 5 years’ experience in human nutrition programming with special training and practical experience in nutrition education or health promotion and knowledgeable on food and nutrition security.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Familiarity with the development of Food-based Dietary Guidelines
- Relevant experience in developing behavioural change materials and messages, and pre-testing of lifestyle behaviour change messages.
- Previous working experience in Tanzania with training experience and willingness to frequently travel within the region
- Excellent communication and writing skills and fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Experience in publishing or writing clear and concise scientific papers, policy papers, and guidelines
- Excellent computer skills.
- Academic qualifications; Relevant Advanced university degree
- Extent and relevance of work experience;
- Excellent communication skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org