Dar es Salaam
We’re a non-profit on a mission to bring innovative Israeli solar, agricultural, and water technology
Seeking Hard-Working, Dedicated
Field Technician in Tanzania
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. iA has completed over 650 solar, water, and agricultural projects, providing light, clean water, food, and proper medical care to more than 3 million people in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, South Africa, Uganda, Cameroon, Senegal and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Tanzania team as a Field Technician. The Field Technician works under the supervision of the Program Manager and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of iA’s solar systems, solar water pumping systems, as well as remote monitoring system.
Further responsibilities can include supervising any ongoing construction works by the hired contractors, identifying and selecting the beneficiaries of our projects, actively engaging in community mobilization and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities, providing regular reports and ongoing monitoring of the projects.
Program Manager ; Senior Engineer
- Ensure that all the completed water projects are fully functional and report any issue which arises among the projects
- Ensure that all the completed solar projects are fully functional and report any issue which arises among the projects
- Ensure that all the completed projects are equipped with fully functional remote monitoring unit
- Assess the need for maintenance work on existing water projects, solar projects and remote monitoring units, to identify faults and malfunctions, and provide sustainable solutions
- Maintain water system equipment including pumps, taps, solar panels and control units of iA solar water pumping systems.
- Coordinate and schedule maintenance activities
- Work directly with contractors should larger issues arise
- Conduct effective community technical training and sensitization to all iA water and solar beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees
- Maintain regular contact with iA’s engineers based in the Tanzania office and in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar water technologies and remote monitoring systems
- Establish and manage relationships and communication with local, national, and international stakeholders
- Monitor and ensure adequate stock of spare parts is always available and provide lists of periodic requirements
- Participate in technical implementation of all solar electrification system implementation
- Oversee all field operations related to solar powered projects, including prospective project search, solar project installation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Work closely with the local contractor to plan and design all solar electrification systems
- Submit daily updates through the iA phone application and send regular progress reports to international management team regarding prospective projects, construction and implementation of current projects, and monitor existing projects
- Office work – filling forms, submitting reports, taking pictures and uploading them, answering emails
- Manage and fully participate in visits from the international team, donors and guests
- Respond to any communication such as emails, Whatsapp or Slack within a timely manner (24 hours)
- Executing any other task required by the Program Manager and international team according to the work plan
- The ideal candidate is a dedicated team-player with strong interpersonal skills who has a background in electrical engineering and water supply, community development and mobilization, and working with international stakeholders.
- The candidate must demonstrate a proven passion for working with the community and possess detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or professional diploma in Electrical or Engineering or closely related field
- Solid understanding of electrical and mechanical systems, particularly those related to solar energy.
- This includes knowledge of solar panel installation, wiring, battery storage systems, and pump mechanics.
- Solid understanding and knowledge of circuit design, programming, and cellular communication protocols.
- Previous work experience with installing and maintaining Grundfos SP and SQF pumps and the installation and programming of remote monitoring systems is an advantage
- Knowledge of relevant safety standards and regulations.
- Driver’s license and at least one year of experience in driving off-road routes
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and
Microsoft Office software
- High proficiency in English and Swahili; both writing and speaking
- The job may require lifting heavy equipment and working in confined spaces, so you should be physically fit.
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move.
To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as Slack, Zoom and more.
The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to:
tz.technician@innovation- africa.odoo.com (please note that we can only accept applications that are sent in PDF format)
Please make the file name your full name and please specify which job position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Innovation: Africa is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.