Founded in 1977, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) USA is an international non-governmental organization that continues Dr. Goodall’s pioneering work on chimpanzee ecology and behavior. Its mission is to promote wildlife conservation, in particular chimpanzee sustainability, through research, education, and community conservation. The breadth of JGI’s mission reflects Dr. Goodall’s personal philosophy that the survival of all species, whether chimpanzee or human, depends upon the collaboration of all people. In 2012, JGI formally adopted an ambitious 30-year goal to protect 85% of Africa’s wild chimpanzee populations in their natural habitats. In reaching this goal, JGI will capitalize on its considerable strengths and experience gained from working throughout the chimpanzee range, which includes more than 50 years of chimpanzee behavioral research at the Gombe Stream Research Center; its 20 years of developing people- and community-centered conservation strategies; its impressive expertise in the use geospatial technology to innovatively map and monitor human and chimpanzee use of forest resources; and its global environmental and humanitarian youth program – Roots & Shoots.
Under its Department of Africa Programs (AP), JGI USA implements community-based conservation activities in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of Congo, Tanzania, and Uganda. Our Africa Programs partners include but are not limited to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Disney Foundation, Arcus Family Foundation, Allen Family Foundation, US Fish and Wildlife Services (USFWS), the Turner Foundation, and a strong individual donor base.
The USAID-funded Landscape Conservation in Western Tanzania Project strengthens landscape scale conservation in the western geographical landscape of Tanzania through the development of a strategic landscape approach built upon USAID’s previous and continued support to NRM and conservation in Western Tanzania. This is a five-year funded cooperative agreement under USAID.
JGI is searching for a Finance & Administrative (FAM) Manager to join a dynamic team of professionals responsible for the implementation of the program and the responsible stewardship of resources. Reporting directly to the Chief of Party (COP) based in Kigoma, the FAM will be responsible for overseeing the administrative and financial management, accountability requirements and human resources management for this project, ensuring accurate and timely financial and administrative support services are providing to the program team. S/he has overall supervisory responsibility for the finance team and the administration team, focusing on general ledger activity, daily posting process, payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable, month-end closing process and financial report preparation.
Work involves the ability to manage a queue of priorities; responsibility for making independent decisions based upon knowledge of organization operations, policies, and procedures; and assigning and reviewing the work of support staff. Providing technical assistance to staff in implementing and complying with financial and administrative procedures to ensure compliance with regulations and serve as the financial liaison to JGI, local NGOs, other implementing partners and implementing units.
JGI is currently seeking to recruit suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian to fill the position of Finance and Administrative Manager with the following job functions and qualifications below:
- Coordinate, including being able to perform, activities across the various accounting functions: payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general accounting.
- Manage weekly accounts payable process under the direction of program leadership. Support Staff Accountant in payroll, monthly billing, and daily accounts receivable processes.
- Prepare and/or coordinate monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts. Work with HQ accounting to report timely and accurate financial data.
- Facilitate “closing” of financial records on a monthly basis and in a timely manner.
- Support the leadership for the external annual audit process.
- Work closely with the Tanzania and HQ program and financial support teams.
- Review expenses to ensure that they have been recorded consistently and in accordance with JGI policies and procedures, generally accepted accounting procedures and USAID requirements.
- Ensure the collection of accurate and complete documentation to support accounting entries in accordance with established JGI policies and procedures and USAID requirements.
- Work closely with accounting staff to review accounting process and procedures, analyze, and reconcile accounts and recommend controls to prevent errors and promote efficiency.
- Coordinate with the Grants Manager to assess the capacity of grant applicants and review request for advances, liquidations, and support documentation.
- Provide high quality and proactive technical support to the program team including the review and interpreting financial results and making corrections in the G/L as identified.
- Ensures proper cash handling procedures, responsible for proper control of petty cash.
- Performs related duties as required
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree (preferably a Master’s degree) in Business Administration or Finance,
- At least five years of experience managing the financial and administrative aspects of donor-funded assistance programs of similar size, complexity and setting,
- Demonstrated experience in managing and supervising a team.
- Demonstrated experience in managing sub-grants including conducting risk assessments o Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing,
- Broad understanding of national laws, policies and norms related to accounting and administration,
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting, human resources, procurement, and compliance issues.
All applications should be submitted together with the signed application letter, most recent curriculum vitae (resume), copy of relevant certificates & transcripts, testimonials, three names of current and reputable referees, active mobile phone number & e-mail address, and should be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject ”Application for Finance & Administrative Manager”.
Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview.
The deadline for submitting the application is October 15, 2020
JGI Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national or tribal origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, and marital status.
QUALIFIED WOMEN ARE ALSO HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.