Job title: Finance Assistant
Band: Employment band: I
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Technical line manager: Finance Manager
Direct reports: No direct reports
Unit/department: Finance Department
Location: Kibondo, Tanzania
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Finance Manger, the Finance Assistant provides financial and administrative support to DRC and partners as per DRC and donor regulations and procedures within the Country operations in Tanzania and Burundi. The Finance Assistant contributes to the development and implementation of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The Finance Assistant provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Finance and accounting
- Daily accounting (bookkeeping) according to DRC operations handbook
- Handle Cash and bank payment vouchers needed for the day to day financial transactions.
- Ensure that all payment supporting documents are complete and are in accordance with DRC financial procedures and regulations.
- Manage petty cash and clear cash advances upon request.
- Ensure to update cashbooks on a daily basis to reflect the actual status of existing cash count and bank balance in all currencies.
- Issue cash receipts for all collected cash.
- Ensure all bank accounts statements are reconciled.
- Prepare weekly cash counts and ensure reconciliation in DRC Dynamics.
- Maintain proper filing of all financial documentation (vouchers, contracts, tender documents, etc.) and tracking all the payments done when needed.
- Create vendor Invoices in Dynamics for high value procurement.
- Process payment to vendors through bank cheques and Internet banking\
- Process tax and all other statutory payments every month before deadline.
- Process payment of incentive workers on monthly basis
- Stamp” PAID” all vouchers immediately after the payment is made.
- Create and post project expense journals for low value procurement
- Reconcile accounts payable and accounts receivables in DRC Dynamics
- Routine record keeping and archiving
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern
- Prepare and participate in donor verifications and annual audits.
- Update the Finance Manager on cash balance everyday by COB.
- Follow up with staff to ensure that all staff advances are settled within the same month.
- Assist the Finance Manager in other areas as required.
- Assist with collecting, reviewing, correcting and filing all financial progress reports.
- Support financial report preparations to donors
- Submit progress and status reports
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience
- Experience with carrying out admin tasks
- Good communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Basic proficiency in PowerPoint and Word
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadline
- NGO experience
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in Swahili
Diploma or equivalent professional qualification
- English (Fluent, written and spoken)
- Swahili (Fluent, written and spoken)
• Finance staff
• Program Managers
• Human Resources
• Procurement and Logistics
• Area Manager Tanzania
• Area Manager Burundi
• HOSS Tanzania/Burundi
• Country Director Tanzania/Burundi
• Regional Office/Head Quarters
• Incentive Workers
• Local Auditor company in Tanzania
• Local TAX authorities in Tanzania
• NNB Bank
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Core competencies Basic Advanced Expert
Striving for excellence ☐ ☒ ☐
Collaborating ☐ ☒ ☐
Taking the lead ☐ ☒ ☐
Communicating ☐ ☒ ☐
Demonstrating integrity ☐ ☒ ☐
- Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
- Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.\Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
Providing equal opportunities
We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 January 2022.