Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Under the guidance and leadership of EAYIP Accountant the Finance Assistant will be responsible for the day-to-day operations to the Finance department team. This will include providing support to the senior management team, Program Country office. This position will provide support to the project by maintaining systems of accountability, establishing, and maintaining communications between program offices as well as partners and performing basic administrative tasks as assigned. The Finance Assistant will develop procedures which promote financial discipline to meet organizational goals through maintaining an efficient document retrieval system. This position will also be responsible to process cash/bank transactions and ensure data entry in Agresso along with proper supporting documents.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Attention to details, hardworking, methodological, efficient and enthusiastic.
A. Accounting, and Vouching of financial transactions (40%)
- Verify bills in coordination with the finance team for required supporting documents.
- Ensure arithmetic accuracy of bills and approval on vouchers.
- Update vendor database as required.
- Ensure that all taxes, provident funds, and related deductions are processed as appropriate.
- Maintain Heifer Tanzania’s intercompany transactions on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate logistics with the Administration department for bank-related transactions.
- Ensure all transactions are timely recorded with adequate supporting documents and are in compliance with in-country/HQ policies.
B. Manage the Department of Finance office filing system to ensure that the Finance documents and records are appropriately filed and secured for easy retrieval. (35%)
- Ensure that an effective filing system is in place in the office and transactions are serially filed.
- Ensure proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Maintain a staff retirement register and ensure each staff’s accountability/retirement is recorded in the system.
- Ensure all transactions are scanned and uploaded in Agresso as per Global Finance Operations guidelines.
- Provide support to the monthly financial reporting preparation and distribution.
C. Petty Cash (20%)
- Prepare and file Petty Cash Payments as per Heifer Project International Policies and procures.
- Review account discrepancies as needed.
D. Perform other jobs as directed (5%)
- Any other work-related duties as may be directed by superiors
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related fields is required, plus 1-year of experience in other job-related fields.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Good understanding of Accounting Principles
- Strong vouching, accounting and bookkeeping skills
- Computer proficient in accounting software, ERP, word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail and internet (Microsoft preferred)
- Sound in English and Swahili, both spoken and written
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity
- Ability and willingness to work on a flexible schedule
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision
- Sound writting and verbal communication skills in Swahili and English
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, and cooperation