Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda use Sokowatch’s mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Finance Controller -Consultant
Role: Financial Controller- Consultant
Seeking a Finance Controller on a short term 3-month contract. The Finance Controller will be tasked with performing key reconciliations such as reconciling transactions across the general ledger and sub-ledgers together with other key accounts. Key responsibilities will include performing forensic research on, and analysis of, the company’s financial data to identify potential fraud and/or business revenue loss.
Location: Dar es Salaam
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform ledger subledger reconciliations for all balance sheet items.
- Perform reconciliations for bank & cash balances; debtors; suppliers; inventory and control accounts.
- Generate fixed asset register and fixed asset movement schedule which ties to the General Ledger.
- Generate aged open balance listings for all items in the balance sheet.
- Generate a list of all proposed reconciling journals.
- Perform financial record audits to ensure compliance with IFRS and with the law.
- Ensure all accounting procedures follow IFRS.
- Institute financial controls (including end of day, end of month procedures) that are to ensure integrity of financial data capture and aide in the process for regular reconciliations.
- Analyze financial data and trace discrepancies.
- Review financial documents to identify inaccuracies.
- Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration; CPA qualification; MBA/CFA a plus but not required
- Thorough knowledge of IFRS and experience with accounting and financial procedures
- Strong investigative and analytical skills; ability to identify errors
- Experience reconciling accounting figures and financial records
- Appropriate handling of sensitive information
- Ability to work to deadlines
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player with the ability to work with multiple parties
- Advanced computer software skills, including Excel and Accounting packages