Job Opportunity at Danish Refugee Council (DRC) – Finance Officer
Position: Finance Officer
Application due: 11/22/2019
Contract type: National contract
• Ensure weekly cash forecast/requirements are compiled for all DRC field offices
• Ensure that Burundi Program has sufficient cash flow for implementation by Requesting Funding from to HQ on time
• Check and record the bank balance on Weekly basis
• Follow up with the bank on receipt of funds from HQ and prepare the bank fund transfer letter to transfer the funds to field offices.
• Ensure adequate Petty cash is kept in office to cater minor expenditures as per the Finance procedures
• Follow up with staff and ensure the cash advances are settled within two weeks after the activities
• Conduct weekly cash counts for office and submit cash count sheets and submit to Senior Finance Officer in Tanzania
• Prepare monthly cash counts for office on last working day of the month and submit to HoSS on last working day of the month.
• Compile monthly cash count from field offices and submit to Senior Finance Officer on last working day of the month.
• Prepare the bank reconciliation on Monthly basis and submit to the Senior Finance on 7th Every Month
• Update commitment cash book in coordination with Administration, Procurement/Logistics departments, bi-weekly to ensure all Finance obligations are entered in the BFU and submitted to HoSS.
• Prepare monthly expenditure forecast/Projections for the Country and share with Hoss by 5th of every Month
• Ensure payment request/documents are reviewed to ensure DRC/Donor documentation guidelines (Including checking of project code/budget line, availability of funds) are adhered; payments are finalized within three working days.
• Review Monthly Staff Payroll and import the Payroll File in the DRC Dynamics
• Prepare the bank reconciliation every Month and follow up on the issues which need to be resolved
• Ensure that all payment documents are scanned and sent to Country office in Tanzania by 7th day following the end of the month.
• Processing payments in the DRC Dynamics System and on the Online banking System
• Ensure that statutory deductions are paid to relevant authorities on time to avoid any penalties.
• Review all Order Request/Purchase Orders for proper coding and budget adequacy before approval.
• In liaison with Logistics department, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports.
• Review Budget Follow Up/Transaction details for office in coordination with the relevant program managers to ensure postings are done correctly, over spending’s are rebooked on monthly basis. Budget monitoring Status report to be submitted to the Senior Finance Officer.
• Review project work plan against finance forecast in coordination with the program staff on quarterly basis.
• Compile (from field offices) and prepare the finance details (Analyse expenditure progress) for Quarterly/Annual review meetings.
• Prepare and share the burn report every Month (Expenditure Spending VS Budget) and Share with Senior Finance Officer
• Support on Budget Revision and Budget Realignment
• Create a new project in the system
• Focal point for Finance in Burundi Office
• Serve as technical resource person for the Finance department.
• Produce monthly and quarterly reports as / management Report as and when required.
• Assist in budget preparation in the Country
• Report to the Support Services Manager any irregularities that occur within the DRC office, staff compound and sites on DRC policy and procedures.
• Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Area Manager/C
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
• At least two years’ work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an INGO or the commercial sector.
• Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas)
• Knowledge of ERP System or other accounting software will be an added advantage
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
• University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration.
- Basic Advanced Expert
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating integrity
Find the definition of DRC’s Core competencies here
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Franch. Fluency in local spoken languages.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
• Programme staff
• Human Resources
• Procurement and Logistics
• Relevant stakeholders (Governments Agencies ,Suppliers,Bank,etc)
Last updated: (date and name)
•Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
•Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
•Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.
The Job description may not exceed two pages
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
Professionalism, impact & expertise
Humanitarian approach & the work we do
Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
Culture, values & strong leadership
Fair compensation & continuous development
Read more here about what our employees say about working in DRC.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.