General Accountant at Henry Jackson Foundation Medical Research International (HJFMRI)
Henry Jackson Foundation Medical Research International (HJFMRI) is an international non- governmental research organization working in several countries providing care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming for over 30 years. HJFMRI implements PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention, care, and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands Zone, providing resources, personnel, and services to the Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the Southern Highlands Zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment services in Mbeya,Rukwa, Katavi, and Songwe regions in the Zone. HJFMRI is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position above.
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Contract: One year, with option(s) to renew
The purpose of this position is to ensure accuracy of entries; timelines of payments and financial reporting to the program are done without delay.
The position holder has to perform balance sheet reconciliations and provides advice and support to staff in the areas of financial management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare documents by scrutinizing and verifying that all required attachments have been supplied before documents is channeled for approval, posting and payment process.
- Posting entries into Quick Book on a daily basis.
- Ensure all entries posted into QuickBooks are in compliance with International Financial reporting standard, GAAP and QuickBooks accounting and reporting manual.
- Initiating payments into the banking system or writing bank checks, while ensuring segregation of duty is strictly for each paid document is strictly observed between posting and payments.
- Ensuring payments and all other processes are in compliance with internal control policy and other policies.
- Prepare and submit all documents posted and paid through the bank to the senior accountants on a daily basis for QB check application and for reconciliation purpose.
- Maintain document workflow system and ensuring the document workflow template is fully updated with daily posting and payments made.
- Ensure all payments are properly scanned and submitted to HQ.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies and errors as reported by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Enforcing internal policies to program staff, etc. Training SOP, Travel advance policy, Mpesa policy and other policies within the program.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends, as directed by the Senior Accountant and/or Accounting Manager.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Preparation of the monthly payroll entry for review by Senior Accountant.
- Prepares monthly closing schedules for review by Senior Accountant
- Reconcile bank accounts and clears any discrepancies in the balances by researching and analyzing the account information.
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash accounts on a monthly basis to be reviewed by the Senior Accountant
- Managing time sheets and make follow-up. Where necessary scanned them to HQ.
- Managing statutory deductions, NSSF, PPF, and PAYE Files in Monthly basis.
- Work with other program staff to understand program activities and appreciate the existing linkage with finance
- Take initiatives in understanding budget preparation, implementation and monitoring process and the overall financial management of the program
- Working while observing the Professional Code of Conduct (PICCO). Professional behavior, Integrity, Competence, Confidentiality and Objectivity. General accountant is directly obligated to report any misconduct observed or heard that is against these codes to the immediate supervisor or to the appropriate reporting channel.
- Undertake other assignments that you will be assigned by the senior accountant, accounting manager and senior finance director.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting with 3 years experience in a high volume transaction accounting Department in large organization.
- 2 years hands on experience with QuickBooks software.
- CPA/ACCA is an added advantage
- Deadline-Oriented, Reporting Research Results, SFAS Rules, Time Management and Data Entry Management.
- Knowledge of the full accounting cycle.
- Highly proficient in Excel and Word applications
- Highest level of deductive reasoning
- Ability to problem-solve and take initiative to resolve issues
- Ability to communicate both in writing and verbally in English and Swahili
- Exceptional follow-through skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable courier to the;
Human Resources and Administration
Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya, or transmitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal and/or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment. Hand delivery applications will not be accepted. Deadline for submission of the application is November 22 nd 2019. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements as detailed in the job description below will not be considered.