For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Tanzania since 1992 on HIV/AIDS development projects. Since 2010, MdM’s focus in Tanzania has been the instauration of harm reduction services for people who use drugs. For years MdM ran the first comprehensive harm reduction programme in the country, in a district of Dar es Salaam. In 2020 the implementation was handed over to the local civil society and the funding to the global fund. MdM remained in Tanzania to support with technical expertise and to coordinate the scale-up of these programmes, that are now present in different locations in Tanzania.
In 2022, MdM has also started, together with national and international partners, several sexual and reproductive health interventions, both in Dar es Salaam and Dodoma, and will continue increasing its presence in this sector.
As part of a growing harm reduction regional approach, MdM Tanzania is starting new programmes in neighbouring countries. MdM is providing technical assistance and support in Burundi and Rwanda, programmes that are led from the Tanzania mission.
Also, in 2023, MdM Tanzania is starting an ambitious Unitaid (WHO) funded research project on Hepatitis C among PWUD. This 4 year-long project is a consortium led by MdM with the participation of prestigious research institutes.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the desk manager, you are responsible for the overall management of the Tanzania mission.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Recruit, manage, train and motivate the mission’s team
- Define the operational and advocacy strategy together with the coordination team, the desk manager and the volunteer board delegates of the mission
- Plan and monitor activities, implement corrective action when necessary, providing technical support to the team
- Represent MdM with authorities, local actors, partners, donors and the media
- Monitor partnership agreements with partners, authorities and donors, seek out and develop new partnerships, and ensure or supervise fundraising
- Ensure the financial coverage of the mission by leading fundraising and budget management
- Draft, adapt and monitor safety regulations and procedures and coordinate crisis management in the region
- Implement and monitor the application of MdM’s programmatic and support services framework, policies and procedures
- Supervise reporting to MdM and donors
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
Starting date: July 1, 2023
Gross monthly salary: 3362 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments – minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 recovery days per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (2.5 days teleworking on average per week) with a minimum of 1 day per week onsite
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
As part of our measures to combat money laundering and financing of terrorism, any selected candidate may be subject to a background check on international sanctions lists (UN, the EU, France, the United States…). This information is handled confidentially and stored on a secure server. For more information on the processing of personal data throughout this process: http://bit.ly/3CSTDYO
Family posting possible
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Master’s degree level in humanitarian aid, development or related fields
- Extensive experience in project cycle management, MEAL, human resources, finance and logistics management
- Significative coordination experience in development/humanitarian context
- Strong management skills
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills, capacity to work autonomously & under pressure
- Experience in community development, and in capacity building of local civil society
- Public health background or medical background is an asset
- Experience in research project is an asset
- Experience in harm reduction for drug users and/or key populations or experience and knowledge in sexual and reproductive health is an asset
- Experience with MdM is an asset
- Languages: Fluent English (written and spoken) mandatory. French is an asset.
- You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.